Resource icon

KotH KotH_Rainypost A4

slushiesz

L1: Registered
Apr 27, 2018
KotH_RainyPost - The first map that I'd like to share here...

So... I don't know if it's exactly a good map, but I like the way Rainy Post turned out, and I thought I might share it here? Not exactly confident about this map, but I like it.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
First off, I have to say, for a first map this is really very well-done and I do like it!
The feedback:

In general, the map is far too overscaled. There's a ton of empty space that means decent snipers will become unstoppable. I'm pretty sure you must've playtested the map as Scout, because I don't want to imagine trying to waddle from point A to point B as Heavy (not to mention the Snipers).
In general, hallways in TF2 should be sized around 256 units in width at a minimum unless it's a vent. Stairs shouldn't be of a 1:1 height to length ratio. I recommend looking at Valve's maps and seeing how they handle units and space. More focused feedback:
  • The HDR bloom is quite a bit too intense. For your alpha/beta releases, I'd recommend simply doing non-HDR compiles, and leaving the tweaking 'til the detailing stages.
HeyZ6Vd.jpg

• The area outside of spawn is simply too large, flat, empty and open. This also means that having two spawndoors is less effective as a camper can easily lock down both doors.
ZD5lck8.jpg
  • I'm aware that this problem probably isn't your fault, and I don't know how to fix it myself, but I thought I may as well point it out. If it's not clear, the door prop is rendering on top of the respawnroom visualizer.
rAqfU2M.jpg
  • ...Okay, these spotlit corridors actually look really cool, but in TF2 there should really never be any pitch-black areas. I'd recommend making these hallways lighter, with clearly defined spotlights (you can use a point_spotlight for lightbeams instead) and just make the darker areas in shade. Another thing is that long corridors don't really work in TF2, you could use their space as an opportunity to add staircases to link to the highground for better flow. I can see these corridors becoming spytech or industrial quite well, but they need to be shortened and made lighter.
Tfc53Xh.jpg
  • This prop structure is actually pretty cool, and I can imagine having fun dodging and jumping around it. However, as it's surrounded by empty space, I don't think it's been placed with its full potential in mind.
7kbDvq8.jpg

• This point is decent, but I don't think the capture volume should be anywhere except at the top, as it would be annoying for capturing people to have their progress halted by someone they can't see. Also, I think the walkways leading up are quite thin and precarious (also 1:1), but I guess the area around the point is made pretty cramped by the crates so it makes sense. Maybe lowering the point a bit would help.
bezp8CT.jpg

Overall, good stuff for a first try! Keep at it, and keep us updated :D

slushiesz

Apr 27, 2018
Overall, good stuff for a first try! Keep at it, and keep us updated :D
Thanks! I tried. I think I'll fix the scaling problem easily, since all I'll do is make everything a bit smaller. Uh, if you check the workshop with version a2, I basically released a2 before reading your feedback. OH! Right, one last thing: I don't think I'll focus too much on detailing for the alpha stages, since I want to focus on gameplay areas first before I try making my map look good.

slushiesz

Apr 27, 2018
so i released a new update for koth_rainypost.
i wasn't able to work on this since i forgot it even existed until i remembered it.

Added/Fixed:
- Fixed some lighting inside RED and BLU's Spawn.
+ Added displacements that are only alpha painted.
+ Added some props in the Spawn Room.

Read the rest of this update entry...