koth_mayangold

KotH koth_mayangold b5

Smiley the Smile

L2: Junior Member
Dec 11, 2016
koth_mayangold - A jungle-themed King of the Hill map.

My very first complete project (which is quite obvious).Feel free to judge it,give me any ideas,e.t.c.Any critisism is appreciated as long as it helps me improve the map.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Got screenshots?

Also, 170MB map. You obviously have custom content in it (quite a lot of it by the looks of it, that or a unnecessarily small lightmap grid) , but apparently didn't repack it so it's a smaller size. Here, use this handy dandy tool: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/drag-n-drop-repack-unpack-batch-files.2451/

Also, you don't have a version number in your map's file name (_a1 or something). This will cause problems when you update the map but keep the same name, the server will kick people off who still have the old map because of a server/client map mismatch. To fix this, you'll have to rename the vmf, then compile again.

CriminalBunny

Lasers are just deadly rainbows
aa
Oct 11, 2013
I'm on mobile right now so I can't check too much, but isn't the top skybox temple tilted a bit too much to the right? I know it's very nit-picky but rotated as it is it looks rather unbeliebable, like it's going to fall over. It won't be very noticeable in game but in a screenshot or in a spectator camera it's going to look somewhat off.

Other than that it looks good! I like the different out-of-bound areas of each spawn, and congrats on hitting beta!

Smiley the Smile

Dec 11, 2016
Thanks!
Also that temple was intentional.I thought it would be funny and also create a feel of an old ruined temple, kind like some buildings from Uncharted 2.But I guess you're right,gonna fix it.

n8five484

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2016
koth_mayangold0000.png

Before anyone says so, clip these stairs.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I have a hunch the big lit sign was just an excuse to use those cool letter props, since it doesn't fit the theme at all nor designate an area that would have a real reason to be marked with a big lit sign even if it did.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
mat_leafvis 3

88B713F80B0E042D929CF6397EBDFF24EBC1A020

mat_wireframe 1

25B1FAC7D8DD17D0134B3BA2CF0239E0D1ABA485

I think I understand why my framerates were so bad. Protip #1: Close off the courtyard outside spawn from the rest of the map using skybox brushes if at all possible, and don't forget to have a big nodraw brush inside the displacement cliff wall if you don't already. Protip #2: Areaportals across every doorway (and window, when necessary).

Smiley the Smile

Dec 11, 2016
mat_leafvis 3

88B713F80B0E042D929CF6397EBDFF24EBC1A020

mat_wireframe 1

25B1FAC7D8DD17D0134B3BA2CF0239E0D1ABA485

I think I understand why my framerates were so bad. Protip #1: Close off the courtyard outside spawn from the rest of the map using skybox brushes if at all possible, and don't forget to have a big nodraw brush inside the displacement cliff wall if you don't already. Protip #2: Areaportals across every doorway (and window, when necessary).
Thank you for the tips,but what do you mean by the nodraw brush inside the cliff?Why should I do that?

CriminalBunny

Lasers are just deadly rainbows
aa
Oct 11, 2013
Thank you for the tips,but what do you mean by the nodraw brush inside the cliff?Why should I do that?
Displacements don't cut visibility, so things behind them will render them anyway. By having a nodraw brush inside it you can block visibility and seal the area. <-- This is important when you're going to place areaportals; you can separate the level into different "areas" and prevent a whole part of the map render, improving the performance (more information about them here)

Smiley the Smile

Dec 11, 2016
Displacements don't cut visibility, so things behind them will render them anyway. By having a nodraw brush inside it you can block visibility and seal the area. <-- This is important when you're going to place areaportals; you can separate the level into different "areas" and prevent a whole part of the map render, improving the performance (more information about them here)
Thank you!

Smiley the Smile

Dec 11, 2016
Quick noobie question:
I know what areaportals are and what they do,but I can't figure out a proper way to utilize it by placing it on every door.It'll just look ugly,since it won't render the insides of the house.
Can you help?
(by explaining in more detail)

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
Areaportals are not ment to be used on every doorway. Their idea is the split the map into smaller areas by using them and world geometry so the map framerate is better and plays better. You should go to for example on youtube and search some areaportal tutorials.