koth_internation, a 5 stage project

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
This is my new idea for a map. It consists of 5 koth stages, one at the equator which both teams start at, and depending on who wins, the game will progress to the next one, either north or south. After that game, you either go to the finale, where the game can end, or the defending team can push back, or you go back to the starting point. See below for two flowcharts I made that will make it easier to understand. Ideas? EDIT: crap I made the title wrong, it's koth_international
EDIT2: it's 5 stages, not one map

flowchart1.jpg

flowchart2.jpg

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Same concept but with time, not distance.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You wouldn't be able to pull off the multi-theme concept because you can only have 1 detail sprite loaded into your map. Either brown grass or green. Not both.

Secondly, maps tend to be 3 stages max for a number of reasons.

A) entity limit.

The more stages the more dynamic entities you will be utilising. Too many and you crash the server. This was a problem for several payload race maps entered into the PLR/CTF contest, of which were only 3 stage.

B) player fatigue.

Players experience fatigue the longer they remain on the same map. A fresh map/round freshens a players mental fatigue as they begin to consider new tactics and take in the new scenes. Their boredom resets you could say.

Also, ona final note, you'll be utilising a lot of unique textures to cover desert, snow and grass environments. Your file size will be enormous.

edit: 3 stages is also easier to balance.

Last edited:

nik

Aug 14, 2009
You wouldn't be able to pull off the multi-theme concept because you can only have 1 detail sprite loaded into your map. Either brown grass or green. Not both.

A) entity limit.

The more stages the more dynamic entities you will be utilising. Too many and you crash the server. This was a problem for several payload race maps entered into the PLR/CTF contest, of which were only 3 stage.

B) player fatigue.

Players experience fatigue. A fresh map freshens a players mental fatigue as the consider new tactics and take in the new scenes.

Also, ona final note, you'll be utilising a lot of unique textures to cover desert, snow and grass environments. Your file size will be enormous.

hmm..you make excellent points, and I guess 5 stages will be too much back-and-forth anyways. 3 stages will be better, but now I don't know if I should even start this.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007

A) entity limit.

Path_track counts toward limit. That's why PLR has such problems. (The only CTF I remember having it was Vector because Icarus had a point_spotlight fetish) All other maps are generally safe from it.

nik

Aug 14, 2009
yeah, read the edit in bold in my post

also, I don't see how it wouldn't be possible..I would just have different stages, and when the point is capped, the round ends and all the entities get disabled/enabled accordingly?