koth_internation, a 5 stage project

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by nik, Jul 6, 2010.

1. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is my new idea for a map. It consists of 5 koth stages, one at the equator which both teams start at, and depending on who wins, the game will progress to the next one, either north or south. After that game, you either go to the finale, where the game can end, or the defending team can push back, or you go back to the starting point. See below for two flowcharts I made that will make it easier to understand. Ideas? EDIT: crap I made the title wrong, it's koth_international
    EDIT2: it's 5 stages, not one map

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
  3. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    This sounds like Tachyon.

4. nik

Positive Ratings:
    what's that?

5. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    Same concept but with time, not distance.

6. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    You wouldn't be able to pull off the multi-theme concept because you can only have 1 detail sprite loaded into your map. Either brown grass or green. Not both.

Secondly, maps tend to be 3 stages max for a number of reasons.

A) entity limit.

The more stages the more dynamic entities you will be utilising. Too many and you crash the server. This was a problem for several payload race maps entered into the PLR/CTF contest, of which were only 3 stage.

B) player fatigue.

Players experience fatigue the longer they remain on the same map. A fresh map/round freshens a players mental fatigue as they begin to consider new tactics and take in the new scenes. Their boredom resets you could say.

Also, ona final note, you'll be utilising a lot of unique textures to cover desert, snow and grass environments. Your file size will be enormous.

edit: 3 stages is also easier to balance.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  7. nik

Positive Ratings:
    hmm..you make excellent points, and I guess 5 stages will be too much back-and-forth anyways. 3 stages will be better, but now I don't know if I should even start this.

8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Path_track counts toward limit. That's why PLR has such problems. (The only CTF I remember having it was Vector because Icarus had a point_spotlight fetish) All other maps are generally safe from it.

9. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    I thought TCKoTH wasn't possible. I've wanted t make a TCKoTH map for a while, but not a linear one. I just have absolutely no clue how.

Also shouldn't it be KOTH_International?

10. nik

Positive Ratings:
    yeah, read the edit in bold in my post

also, I don't see how it wouldn't be possible..I would just have different stages, and when the point is capped, the round ends and all the entities get disabled/enabled accordingly?