Resource icon

KotH koth_hill b1

wake

L1: Registered
Jan 23, 2016
koth_hill - First TF2 map

Koth_hill is a king of the hill map I made after watching UEAKCrash's videos on map making. Since there are limited videos, I worked with what knowledge I had learned from them. This means that I am not entirely sure how to make everything look pristine and like valve made it. However, I feel like the map is quite balanced and fun to play on as every class.

The map is focused on two different things. The first of two things is the fun level. I designed the map with the idea that it should...

TheNotoriousTEK

Jul 18, 2014
Screenshots?

Also, the very first release of a map should be A1, not B1

EDIT: Just noticed the link. gg me

Last edited:

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
While this looks like a solid start, from the pictures it seems like the point is a bit too high up. Slower classes might not have a great time running up that long ramp. Plus the fall damage would be brutal lol. Great start though!

Cytosolic

L5: Dapper Member
May 1, 2015
Judging from the images the maps looks over scaled. This article among others is extremely useful. try to scale things down a little more. 128, 192, and 256 hammer units are great numbers to keep in mind.

wake

Jan 23, 2016
The map when you are playing does not feel oversized, except for maybe the spawn areas.

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
I just ran around your map. It may be a teensy bit overscaled but it's nothing you can't fix. Just try to shorten those underground flooded hallways a little, and break up the sightlines around the point. Maybe it would be best to make the center area smaller in general.

I also wanted to mention you have a lot of areas where you can take fall damage. Try lowering the spawn buildings to 256 hammer units off the ground so running off the edge doesn't hurt you. I would also recommend not letting players walk on top of the tall concrete walls around the point. In short, try to tone down the verticality a little bit.

wake

Jan 23, 2016
I am going to have to disagree with toning down the verticality, as the verticality makes for some good DMing, but the shortening the tunnels I can agree with.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
the verticality makes for some good DMing

This is a dangerous newbie misconception. The reason you don't see official maps with such extreme height differences (or distances in any direction, for that matter) is because they are designed specifically around TF2's gameplay, which is limited by two major factors: fall damage, and weapon effectiveness at range (see: distance modifier for projectiles, bullet spread/accuracy for hitscan weapons). Ideally, you want to design combat spaces that respect these limitations so that players can fight at comfortable distances, and more importantly, enjoy playing on your map. Deviate from them, and you risk making combat frustrating and boring. Does that make sense?

Here's another link to that scaling guide Cytosolic mentioned, since I'm not sure you read it.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Do you see any fighting going on between the top area of Hightower and the bottom areas? No, most of the fighting is happening between smaller height tiers, like the high platform at mid and the battlements.

Last edited:

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
I really don't want to have to analyze Hightower on your map thread, but I'll leave you with this screenshot showing how its tallest platform offers a few ways down to the ground that help mitigate fall damage. Gravelpit C does the same. This is why I said you can risk making a map unenjoyable; you have to carefully consider any extreme heights you use, and give your players options when it comes to maneuvering or fighting around them.