koth_flood beta3 - A map that floods until stalemate.

Johnyz

L1: Registered
Oct 6, 2010
At first glance, it seems just like any other small King of The Hill map. But it isn't. Because the water is rising. If the control point floods before a team could capture it and win, then it's a stalemate and you all are losers.

Now in beta - please report any bugs/ideas/suggestions here or to my e-mail (in the readme).

The control point starts sparking and an alarm is heard when there are approx 10 seconds left before complete flood.

Steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419832

Bugs and ToDo:

Textures not finished
Lighting not finished
Maybe slow down the flooding 30 seconds or one minute

benhenry96

Sep 21, 2010
well.

Maybe so, but he posted it for his map, not the real idea, Be Kind!
I think this is an awesome map, and I will download it.

Urban

aa
Jul 27, 2009
He is right though, I definetly don't like stalemates and maybe if the control point rose with the water more and more routes appear via tall building windows or the like it would get rid of the stalemate aspect and perhaps play better as well.

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
It's a nice idea - if you'll do what was suggested it might turn to be a fine map.
So:
1) As the time goes by, the water rise and more routes to the CP appear?
2) The CP rises with the water?
3) You used a lot of HL2 textures and overlays - to avoid it next time write "tf" in the texture browser filter

Looking good! :)

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I agree with Urban and Mangy, though it is a good idea as a way to force people to fight for the point, it would be better if you used the rising water to allow access to places that would make it for "get to the point!" type play (if that makes sense).

I do see a lot of fun uses with Physics though... And being a Physics major. I like it...

Johnyz

Oct 6, 2010
Basically, rising water must be cheap, and cheap tf2 water... ugh. Maybe redo it so it turns into sudden death after the flood? What do you think? I am working on proper lighting now.

Lyzak

L2: Junior Member
Aug 17, 2010
I dont like it. Sorry.
Great idea, something that would really change the way the TF2 is played... but a little too much.

1) As mentioned, moving water limits it's graphical appeal.
2) Dynamic stages are a whole 'nother ball park, something that appeals to a smaller group of players...
3) Poor pyros. They are obsolete in this map, unless you make the water dangerous.

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
THIS MAP IS GENIUS! BUT, I would implement it differently, with it being semi-A/D:

BLU has found RED's secrete base in the mountains, the most cost-effective sarcasm:(evil businessmen). If your RED, don't let them flood the base, if your BLU, keep the water coming!

Summery: when RED has control of the point, water goes down. When BLU has control of the point, water goes up.

what do you guys think?

Aug 10, 2009
I don't really think that water has ever made for great mechanics. Players are slow and vulnerable in it, bullet classes have a huge buff over non bullet classes, snipers can't really snipe, and pyros are useless.

I think it's kind of a cool idea but I really don't see the point of how it's implemented. I wouldn't use it as a dynamic entity, though. It might just be confusing.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Water is a fine mechanic, and cheap water can be made to look alright, but you have to be really tricky about it. Make sure that every 64 units of rising water has a significant impact on how the map plays. Keep your water-touching surfaces natural, such as displacement valleys, so that you're never looking at a single flat pane of water. Use sprites and emitters well so that water looks to be splashing around rocks as it rises-this will take tricky entity timing. But it can be done.

A really clever way to change gameplay as the water rises would be to have obstacles that float on the surface in the sense that they are tied to it, and once they reach a certain obstacle above them, stop to form some new gameplay aspect. A plank that gets caught under two buildings on stilts, forming a bridge between them. A crate that rises to block off an entrance when it gets stuck under the overhang above the door.

The amount of creativity you put into this determines its viability.... I really want to see it happen, so get to work :D