KotH koth_factoryworks a3

my first map

1. GregoryTheGamer1112

GregoryTheGamer1112 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
  2. Funnystuf

Funnystuf L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Could you please add a few pictures so I can see what the map looks like before downloading?

3. Funnystuf

Funnystuf L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, I've playtested it for a little bit with bots and I would like to provide a bit of feedback to try and help the development of this map.

There is WAY too much open space near the point, and I would recommend pushing things a little bit together. However, the amount of space next to the spawnroom buildings is okay. The sightlines for Snipers is a little... big. I would recommend putting some buildings, rocks, or maybe even some fences in the way to break them up a bit.

It's also a bit dark in some places. The areas with ceiling lamps are okay, but the outdoor areas could use a bit of lighting, like from wall lamps or lightposts. Or maybe just brighten up the environment lighting just a bit might work too.

I feel there should be another way to get to the point besides one staircase on each side. When the entire team is piling inside there, it could get a bit cramped.

However, on the bright side, I really like the night-time theme and the name. The night-time theme, however, ties in to the lighting problem I mentioned before, but like I said, if you just add a couple lights here and there to brighten it up a bit, it should be no biggie. I'm excited to see how this map progresses. Hope this feedback helps you.

4. Not You

Not You L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Post some screenshots on this map! People want to see what they are going to download. If you don't know how one of Crash's tutorials should have a video about it.

5. Not You

Not You L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    As I was watching the demo, I noticed a few big issues with this map.
    This map becomes way too open when arriving at the point creating a big sightline (Skewed towards Snipers).

Players can walk towards the skybox which is a gameplay problem. You should add clipping and brushes to prevent players from reaching the map boundaries.

The map is too foggy making it difficult to see.

If you're adding any buildings that you can't go in, make sure the players can't access that area.

However, I do like the spawns in the map and the idea that the point is elevated. Make some improvements to it!

6. GregoryTheGamer1112

Positive Ratings:
    I'm working on it. It's gonna take me some time.

7. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    After seeing this in your gamemode concept video, I just wanted to point out some things that should help you with scaling.
    • You may have noticed that your map renders into view as you walk across it - this is the far Z clip plane in action. If you can see it working at its default distance, that's a sign your map is overscaled.
    • Walk times from spawn to mid were 25s for a default speed class and 32s for heavy. By comparison, koth_viaduct's walk times are about 12s and 15s respectively.
    • If you're having trouble visualizing scale in Hammer, you can place prop_statics with their world model set to a player model (e.g. models/player/pyro.mdl). They won't compile with the map due to being the wrong prop type, so they can be left wherever they're needed.

8. Three Million

Three Million L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Put a wall or something here, it isnt a good idea to have flat open areas even if players cant escape it

I was able to get on top of the respawn roof by means of rocket jumping. This should not be possible, as it could create a spawn camp problem.

Was also able to get on the roof on the building across from respawn. This should be fixed since players could spawn camp other players.

The only CP is way too far and it is too open. If the main objective of a map is too far, players will get bored of having to walk the distance.

These should not be the only health/ammo packs near the point. Plus they are way to big. This could lead to an unfair advantage, or at least make it harder to cap the point beyond what it should be. A good thing to note is usually the bigger the ammo/health pack is the greater the risk is to get it. Like on Ghost Fort
    (koth_lakeside_event), there is a big health back right above a dangerous hole. Players can choose to get the healthpack but risk falling in the hole.

Ninja'd: Sorry if I sound like I am being too critical, but these are just a few things I noticed that could be improved. Great work so far on your first map and keep at it. Interested to see how this one turns out, as I have been a fan of night time maps.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  9. GregoryTheGamer1112

Positive Ratings:
  10. Three Million

Positive Ratings:
    What changed? I dont see any notes at all

11. GregoryTheGamer1112

Positive Ratings:
    I'll talk about it more during the next Gameday. after that I'll update this

12. GregoryTheGamer1112

Positive Ratings:
  13. Three Million

Positive Ratings:
    Looks good! Though I feel like I should be able to rocket jump ontop of here. Tried too, and I can't 20160926125523_1.jpg

These still should be smaller, imo. See my last post about it
    20160926125627_1.jpg .

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  14. GregoryTheGamer1112

Positive Ratings:
    You can reach that balcony. Its a bit hard but you can do it (Try the Sticky Jumper)
    And I'm working on the pickup thing

15. Three Million

Positive Ratings:
    It shouldnt be just the sticky jumper though. All classes that can jump high via weapon boost should be able to reach it so there is no risk of class advantage

16. GregoryTheGamer1112

Positive Ratings:
  17. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Also if you need to make one step that skinny, then either your upper or your lower floor is flagrantly off grid.