koth_cragtop

KotH koth_cragtop B3

Frupcup™

L1: Registered
Jul 11, 2020
koth_cragtop_rc - Battle in a beautiful mountain village turned corporate enterprise!

View attachment 130388
Red and Blu find themselves competing for control of Mount Cragtop's crumbly, particulate gravel.

This is my first mapping project! I think more detailing could be welcome, and the layout is bland in my opinion, but this was more for learning Hammer than making my magnum opus. That being said, I think it's still it's a fun map.

Feedback is very appreciated! I'd love lots of tips on things like optimization, cubemaps, clipping, lighting, and out-of-play-area detailing. These are all things that I did to the best of my ability, but I have no idea if they're good or not.

Also, I'm completely new to TF2Maps.net besides for some forum browsing, so if I need to reformat my post or do anything else to properly contribute, feel free to comment that as well.

Enjoy! Thanks!

Maid

Bimbo Succubus Lesbian
aa
Sep 29, 2018
hiya! welcome to the forums !!!
this looks great for a first map!! id recommend tho, if you want to iterate on it and improve it from here, you start at version a1 and move through alpha and beta before reaching rc.
also, if you want to get some playtesting and feedback on your map and the opportunity to play it on a full server with our community, you can join the TF2Maps Community Discord and submit ur map in the #bot channel :)

Frupcup™

Jul 11, 2020
hiya! welcome to the forums !!!
this looks great for a first map!! id recommend tho, if you want to iterate on it and improve it from here, you start at version a1 and move through alpha and beta before reaching rc.
also, if you want to get some playtesting and feedback on your map and the opportunity to play it on a full server with our community, you can join the TF2Maps Community Discord and submit ur map in the #bot channel :)
Hey, thanks! I'll be sure to do that.

Frupcup™

Jul 11, 2020
I wasn't planning on updating this map, but here we are. Welcome back to the valley of Mount Cragtop, where RED and BLU fight to take sole ownership of the quite mountain town's pristine, lushious gravel!

Change Notes (B2)
  • Greatly enhanced details on the dams and clipped the dam roofs
  • Added roofs to previously roofless buildings
  • More lights where needed
  • Many minor detail fixes
  • Optimization

Read the rest of this update entry...

Frupcup™

Jul 11, 2020
You win some, you lose some, and koth_cragtop's first public playtest was definitely a loss. Performance was terrible, and HDR was blinding the playtesters! The map was skipped after one round on account of it's downright unplayability.

But with failure comes discovery! And through this experience, I learned what the heck a 3D skybox is. I also looked-up how to compile without HDR in the expert compiler. Now, your favorite gravel-filled mountain town doesn't turn TF2 into a Powerpoint presentation of over-exposed vacation photos!

Change Notes (B3)
  • Added a 3D skybox and rebound the play area, drastically boosting performance
  • Compiled with only LDR lighting because HDR was broken
  • Completely re-did clipping around trims, should be no issues now
  • Added trims where they were needed but not present.
  • Added sprites to cone lights
  • Added extra windows to the house for enhanced detail and visibility
  • Changed the primary dam texture to a more appealing texture
  • Fixed a gap in the dam where players could pass through where they aren't supposed to
  • Many other small details

Read the rest of this update entry...