Resource icon

KotH koth_coalmine_a8 2017-03-18

Kunny

L2: Junior Member
Jan 2, 2017
koth_coalmine_b3 (Unfinished Map) - Pretty bad map, I just want some feedback on whether to continue developing this map. (lots of bugs)

Koth Coalmine is a Coal mine themed King of the hill map with to neighboring MannCo Coal mines. Red and Blue. This map is unfinished and I just want some feedback before I continue it.

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
Some pictures would be nice

OctoBlitz

Sabotage related, and Tak approved!
aa
Jan 15, 2016
Pics or it didn't happen.

The Siphon

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 2, 2015
Has this map been in alpha stage at all or even tested on the servers? I couldn't find any information on the feedback page and this was the only result when searching it on Google.

Now I recommend to do a lot of testing in the alpha stage, because there is a lot of things that need to be fixed.

1. First thing you see when you spawn into the map is the eye hurting bloom. Bloom control should fix the thing.
    L1S6iM3.jpg
  2. This is the whole map. The layout really needs a lot of work. The map is too open and it's just a box. Adding additional routes, cover and such is essential
    Onhzdfq.jpg
  3. The sightlines are pretty long
    dEYvxFJ.jpg
    7IkK5tu.jpg
  4. The whole capture point is floating and it's bit too small
    AIdXfNT.jpg
  5. Again, very long sightlines for snipers
    GJ79HtE.jpg
  6. This part of the map feels bit overscaled and it's kinda like a death trap, since you can't climb up and there is no cover.
    iNzEGaC.jpg
  7. More floating stuff (also some texture and geometry variation would be needed)
    Dxm0T6M.jpg
  8. Bloom again
    BQU1Psf.jpg
  9. A big problem is that you can just walk to the enemy spawn and kill people. You need to add a respawnroom visualizer and gates that do not open to the enemy team.
    muj6v95.gif
  10. The textures in the map could use some variation and fixing. Not sure if this shows up well on the first picture, but the walls of the blue spawn look overscaled. If you look at the first screenshot, you can see what I mean with texture variation.
    Fg4TlX2.jpg
  11. A bit better view of the problem
    MshTzwb.jpg
  12. Also factory walls made out of wood seems bit strange to me
    9P04FuR.jpg
  13. Half Life 2 grass
    KYSfhdT.jpg

You should always do a lot of public testing when the map is in alpha stage and never skip alpha stage.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
Good god the bloom is brighter than the second coming of Jesus and every other prophet in all 3 Abrahamic scripts.

OctoBlitz

Sabotage related, and Tak approved!
aa
Jan 15, 2016
OP, I am not saying this to hurt you, however I think you may want to consider a defferent map layout and renaming your map version to A1, A2, A3, etc...

After seeing the pictures submitted by @The Siphon here is what I suggest

First lower the brightness on your lights, start using Dev textures in more areas you are unsure of, use the Viaduct formula in order to balance your map for both sides of your map and remember to scale your ma with heavies and other player models within hammer while in-game use pyro due to their good speed. Also on a minor note, please check for leaks in your map just in case...

Kunny

Jan 2, 2017
Sorry, I suck at map making. This is my first and probably only map.

Kunny

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks you for the constructive criticism and I will take them all into consideration if I decide to finish the map.

Kunny

Jan 2, 2017
I've spent the last 3 hours working on your guys' suggestions and have been improving some things. Also, I added a really stupid 3d skybox

Kunny

Jan 2, 2017
In this update I have taken into consideration much of your advice.

-Added (very simple) 3d skybox
-Dimmed spawn room lighting
-Added new building and shortened sniper sightlines
-Added extra cover when going through bottom route
-Added more cover from snipers
-Added hill for point to sit on

I will make the map less of a block shape in a future update

Read the rest of this update entry...