koth_canary

KotH koth_canary a1

gamerchungus27

L1: Registered
May 10, 2022
gamerchungus27 submitted a new resource:

koth_inscribe - Graybox koth map with different elevations.

Currently developing this map and wanted to see how it plays in a real multiplayer environment.
It's currently graybox as I am still deciding the theme for the map and I'd prefer to wait to start designing the looks for it until after I have finished the balance of the map.

Read more about this resource...

gamerchungus27

May 10, 2022
gamerchungus27 updated koth_inscribe with a new update entry:

Geo changes

Major changes to outside the spawn regions.

The angled walls have been replaced with multiple horizontal walls that break up sight lines.

Added walls to the right side of the mid bridges to break up sight lines more.

All of the windows now have borders to distinct them as actual windows and not holes in the walls.

Fixed a bug with the doors on point being able to be forced open by players standing underneath them.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Conga Lyne

L2: Junior Member
Sep 2, 2017
Hello, I've given the map a walk around and I think I've spotted a few potential issues ahead of playtesting.

Firstly, there's no patches underneath the health or ammo pickups around the map to indicate their placement when they're respawning.
You can create these by going to the decal tool in hammer and searching "patch" in the texture browser to find the red/blue/white splotches you're familiar with.

I recommend using different colours to differentiate between health/ammo pickups, personally I use white for health and red for ammo, but use whatever you feel makes the most sense.

Moving onto a more subjective issue, is I can't see a reason why I would want to play in the low ground area of the map.
There's a spawn door exit taking me directly to the highground where the flat terrain makes landing headshots much easier as sniper, along with it giving you easy access to above the control point with health & ammo to sustain yourself with.

The only reason I could see myself going to the lower half of the map is to capture the control point, but I haven't play tested it yet so take this all with a handful of salt, It's best to see what actual playtesters give for feedback rather than what I've said here with this one; but I struggle to think of an incentive to want to take a lowground exit out of spawn from my brief perspective of the layout.

Lastly would be the size of the map itself, I think the entire size of the map as is would be great for a mid point to fight around the point in, but I feel like you can reach the capture point far too quickly.
If I were to build a teleporter, where would I put it that using it would be faster to reach the point than just walking?
Let alone have it feel safe to leave unattended.

On a lighter note-
Something I really like about this map is the thought of most of it taking place underground, I think there's a nice unexplored aesthetic to underground Team Fortress 2 maps and I love to see more of them.
I like even more that you can go above the underground facility and visit the surface.

Overall; I think this Map will be a really good learning experience for you and I hope to see you continue mapping and grow in the future!
Best of luck

gamerchungus27

May 10, 2022
Hello, I've given the map a walk around and I think I've spotted a few potential issues ahead of playtesting.

Firstly, there's no patches underneath the health or ammo pickups around the map to indicate their placement when they're respawning.
You can create these by going to the decal tool in hammer and searching "patch" in the texture browser to find the red/blue/white splotches you're familiar with.

I recommend using different colours to differentiate between health/ammo pickups, personally I use white for health and red for ammo, but use whatever you feel makes the most sense.

Moving onto a more subjective issue, is I can't see a reason why I would want to play in the low ground area of the map.
There's a spawn door exit taking me directly to the highground where the flat terrain makes landing headshots much easier as sniper, along with it giving you easy access to above the control point with health & ammo to sustain yourself with.

The only reason I could see myself going to the lower half of the map is to capture the control point, but I haven't play tested it yet so take this all with a handful of salt, It's best to see what actual playtesters give for feedback rather than what I've said here with this one; but I struggle to think of an incentive to want to take a lowground exit out of spawn from my brief perspective of the layout.

Lastly would be the size of the map itself, I think the entire size of the map as is would be great for a mid point to fight around the point in, but I feel like you can reach the capture point far too quickly.
If I were to build a teleporter, where would I put it that using it would be faster to reach the point than just walking?
Let alone have it feel safe to leave unattended.

On a lighter note-
Something I really like about this map is the thought of most of it taking place underground, I think there's a nice unexplored aesthetic to underground Team Fortress 2 maps and I love to see more of them.
I like even more that you can go above the underground facility and visit the surface.

Overall; I think this Map will be a really good learning experience for you and I hope to see you continue mapping and grow in the future!
Best of luck
Thanks for the feedback! After testing I'll definitely be willing to look into changing the design if need be.

I definitely see your point on the spawnpoints. I'm going to be revising that with the next version of the map.

Last edited: