Resource icon

KotH koth_barnbrawl 2016-03-08

Fb||Ninja

L1: Registered
Mar 7, 2016
koth_barnbrawl - Fight on a barn.

Fight with BLU or RED while trying to CAP the point on a farm. Try dodging sawblades and don't step in the lava!
First Map So Don't HATE! ;)

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
If this is practice for making a map that's basically functional, congrats, your spawns/doors/triggers work perfectly.
But the map layout is flawed--there's only one route to anywhere and the spawns are so close to the point that it invites spawncamping. You might also want to do away with the saw blades and lava, because most of the time they're just annoying gimmicks. Adding buildings, cover, and height variation goes a long way for making maps interesting.

Edit: I'll also add, I'm assuming you tested with bots based on your screenshot. Word to the wise, don't do this, unless you're testing logic. Bots are dumb and don't accurately represent human players.

Fb||Ninja

Mar 7, 2016
If this is practice for making a map that's basically functional, congrats, your spawns/doors/triggers work perfectly.
But the map layout is flawed--there's only one route to anywhere and the spawns are so close to the point that it invites spawncamping. You might also want to do away with the saw blades and lava, because most of the time they're just annoying gimmicks. Adding buildings, cover, and height variation goes a long way for making maps interesting.

Edit: I'll also add, I'm assuming you tested with bots based on your screenshot. Word to the wise, don't do this, unless you're testing logic. Bots are dumb and don't accurately represent human players.
this is my first map tho, so mind that :)

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
this is my first map tho, so mind that :)
What's there to mind? He's given you basically the best advice anyone can give: only one route to anywhere, spawns too close together, don't test with bots (seriously, don't. Bots are dumb. Really dumb).

I recommend you watch Crash's mapping tutorial series, if you already haven't. Find them here. These videos go into all the dos and don'ts in the TF2 level design world, heck, even experienced mappers on this site still find stuff in these videos that are new to them.

Fb||Ninja

Mar 7, 2016
What's there to mind? He's given you basically the best advice anyone can give: only one route to anywhere, spawns too close together, don't test with bots (seriously, don't. Bots are dumb. Really dumb).

I recommend you watch Crash's mapping tutorial series, if you already haven't. Find them here. These videos go into all the dos and don'ts in the TF2 level design world, heck, even experienced mappers on this site still find stuff in these videos that are new to them.
Yup! I do watch UEAKCrash's videos and his tips! :) i basically watch an episode a day! :)