KotH travel times

Jeff Magnum

L1: Registered
Jul 4, 2018
To help with scaling my maps, I’ve been making a list of the travel times for KotH maps popular in casual/competitive TF2 – maybe it'll prove useful for some of you, too.

The rules for these times were as follows:
  • All times are approximate and were taken from whatever spawn point I happened to start at, so factor in ~.5s on either side for good/bad spawns.
  • All routes were walked as Pyro (who moves at 300 units/s, same as sniper and engineer).
  • I took the fastest route I could find to each area.
  • Only walking and regular (not crouch) jumping allowed.
  • Travel times to the control points were taken to just inside the capture zone, not to the centre of the CP.

THE TIMES
Viaduct/Product:

CP: 11s
Battlements: 10s

Lakeside:
CP: 12s
Left battlement: 8s
Right battlement: 10s

Ashville:
CP: 12.5s
Battlements: 10.5s

Coalplant_b7
CP: 12s
Left battlement: 12s
Right battlement: 10s

Highpass
CP: 13.5s
Left battlement: 12.5s
Middle battlement: 10.5s
Right battlement: 12.5s

Badlands (KotH)
CP (upper path): 12s
Under CP (lower path) 11.5s
Battlements: 10.5s

Brazil
CP: 13s
Rear battlements? (balcony, view of mid area but not of point itself): 8s
Battlements (open bridge, view of point): 11.5s

Lazarus
CP: 13.5s
Battlements: 11.5s

Airfield_b7 (N.B. this is played in 4v4, so it may be too small for casual. Or maybe not)
CP: 10.5s
Battlements: 8s

Bagel_rc2a
CP: 13s
Raised buildings on either side of point: both 13.5s

Some things I noticed:
  • The fastest route to the control point was often the lowest and most exposed route to take; the side route(s) were usually slightly slower but provided higher ground and/or more cover.
  • Different maps have more or less winding paths to mid, but there was almost always a direct-ish middle path with minimal diversions.
  • While the times may not seem to vary much, the difference does feel significant – maybe it was just because I was staring at the clock, but getting to Highpass or Brazil mid certainly felt longer than getting to Viaduct mid.

Hope this is useful!