Koth to arena?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by CapitalsOwn, Nov 3, 2009.

1. CapitalsOwn

CapitalsOwn L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Is there a simple way to convert a koth map to an arena map?
    If so, what must I do?
    I'm completely new to map making.

2. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    Switch out the arena gametype entities for koth. But if you're new to mapping, how are you going to turn a map in to a koth from nothing?

3. Geit

aa Geit 💜 I probably broke it 💜

Positive Ratings:
    Or, if you run your own servers, you can use "Stripper: Source" to replace tf_logic_koth with tf_logic_arena, which requires no additional downloads from the users.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. CapitalsOwn

Positive Ratings:
    Well see, while all the koth entities I feel are very clear, I'm having trouble finding what arena entities I need. Also, I don't know what entities I can get rid of that won't affect the map, just the gameplay.

Edit: Also, if it helps, I'm trying to modify koth_harvest_event.

I feel like there are a lot of people who like arena_harvest but hate koth_harvest, as well as a lot of people who really like the halloween content. I know decompiling someone else's map is frowned upon, but this is an official valve modification of the map. So I hope it's OK to do. If you guys think I should get permission I will.

Edit2: OK, one other thing, I feel like some koth maps would make great arena maps, but aren't good as koth maps and vice versa. My prime example is viaduct. I think that would make a good arena map, but as a koth map, I hate it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  5. ricardojvc6

ricardojvc6 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    like.. its very simple. Koth uses almost the same entities as Arena. Koth has logic_relay, tf_koth , and much more. Arena uses logic_relay, tf_arena and much more.. or.. use boojum's snark libary.. also, go to the source sdk site.. to know more things

6. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Logic_relay isnt actually an entitie that does anything, its only there to clearly see outputs, as they are in another entity, but you could use logic_relay for anything that has outputs.

You could even make a chain of 100 logic_relays, firing each other, and finally firing the point capture output :D

7. ricardojvc6

ricardojvc6 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    THAT WOULD BE INSANE :D

to many logic_relays can break your map.. i consider using just one

8. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
  9. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just said that it is theoreticly possible, of course this will not be working well :D

10. CapitalsOwn

Positive Ratings:
    Well I like arena_harvest_v2. But my problem is while I don't like it as a koth map, I do enjoy the exploding pumpkins and the ghost. I feel it adds another level of gameplay. I know many others feel similarly, and I think it would create a middle ground.