[SOLVED] KOTH announcer not counting down the point unlocking

therealflyguy

L1: Registered
Jun 14, 2020
First time posting here; I want to find out how to make the announcer count down the control point unlocking (similar to official koth maps) on my map. I've tried opening decompiled versions of other koth maps, but I couldn't find anything helpful. Any ideas?

therealflyguy

Jun 14, 2020
If you're referring to tf_logic_koth, I already have the entity present. Does it need to be modified at all?

On a side note, the announcer voices everything else. Point capture, time left, etc. are all announced but not the countdown to unlocking the point.

Last edited:

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
If you're referring to tf_logic_koth, I already have the entity present. Does it need to be modified at all?

On a side note, the announcer voices everything else. Point capture, time left, etc. are all announced but not the countdown to unlocking the point.
It's weird. To give my reply, I made a simple map with just these entities: light_environment, team_control_point_master, tf_logic_koth, tf_gamerules, prop_dynamic, team_control_point, and trigger_capture_area. Gave the Control Point a few outputs, two for both RED & BLU that would change the CP's prop's skin and resume the clock. Remaking another map from scratch with the exact same settings seems to not make the Administrator do the count-down now; all that changed between the first map and the new one is a less-shiny brightness, a different skybox material and entity locations. Tried as much as I could but it just won't work now, which is weird. I'll attach the VMFs so you can compile and see by yourself (compile them without HDR for your own good). "koth_test" is the one that properly counts down, while "koth_example3" is the fourth failed attempt at making it work despite near-identical map settings.

Attachments

• koth_test.vmf
    15.2 KB · Views: 152
  • koth_example3.vmf
    15.1 KB · Views: 140

therealflyguy

Jun 14, 2020
So is the issue just related to making the tf_logic_koth from scratch? If that's the case I'll see if I can copy the logic from an existing koth map and see if it works.

Edit: Copy and pasting from harvest did the trick. I guess the software just doesn't completely work with some things unless you paste them in from existing maps.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
So is the issue just related to making the tf_logic_koth from scratch? If that's the case I'll see if I can copy the logic from an existing koth map and see if it works.

Edit: Copy and pasting from harvest did the trick. I guess the software just doesn't completely work with some things unless you paste them in from existing maps.

Thanks for the help.
Both maps were made from scratch and no entities were copied from anywhere, it's just that one worked and the other seems not to. The only difference between the two is a different skybox material, light_env brightness and entity spawn order & position. Really don't know what it is.

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
I still don't know for sure what it is, but here's a workaround: if it doesn't do the countdown, delete both the team_control_point_master & tf_logic_koth entities, then spawn them again. After some tests, I came to the conclusion that the order in which these entities are spawned doesn't actually matter (and really shouldn't), and what it really is is still unknown.