KotH klein

Bucake

L1: Registered
Jun 22, 2015
koth_klein

hi!

so.. first map! :)
it's (supposed to be) a small, fast koth map. inspired by viaduct.
the map is mirrored.
the primary goal is to turn this into a map that's fun to play : )

alpha #1:
not so pretty; lack of displacements, lack of light(s), no 3dsky, etc.
in short; it's just.. an alpha :)
however.. it's ready for testing!

i'm eager to try and make the map prettier, but i first want to get the layout down.
i'm hoping for some constructive feedback on things like:
areas too easy or too hard to hold, areas too narrow or too open, sightlines too big or too small, height of areas, etc..
and, although i haven't given it a lot of attention; feedback on and suggestions for aesthetics are more than welcome!

it's my first map, so any thoughts you have are gladly received : )
hopefully (some of) you will have some fun if it gets playtested.

(the map is compressed using bspzip - i only rarred it up because bsp is not accepted)

Last edited:

Unh3lpful

L2: Junior Member
May 6, 2015
What is sticking out of the cliff in the 3rd screenshot?

Bucake

Jun 22, 2015
What is sticking out of the cliff in the 3rd screenshot?

haha. yeah, i realize it looks silly.
it's a placeholder; i mean to build something like a small shack there, on which you can stand.
but, i wanted to have this compiled for a playtest, so i was just a bit short on time : )

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
That's a lot of trimwork for an a1. Looks nice, but I know that took awhile and you will undo a lot of it when you make inevitable layout changes. Since the shape of the brush will remain essentially the same without the trims, you'd save yourself a lot of time by leaving them out of your alphas and their absence wouldn't affect gameplay at all.

Last edited:

Bucake

Jun 22, 2015
That's a lot of trimwork for an a1. Looks nice, but I know that took awhile and you will undo a lot of it when you make inevitable layout changes. Since the shape of the brush will remain essentially the same without the trims, you'd save yourself a lot of time by leaving them out of your alphas and their absence wouldn't affect gameplay at all.

yeah, you're right : )
i just got a bit carried away learning the tools and trying out different combinations of shapes and textures.
the possibilities are a bit overwhelming for me as a beginner, so i don't really regret having looked into it a bit :)

but yeah, i'll probably simplify it a bit until i reach later alpha stages : )
i'm even considering starting over completely, and just use the most basic shapes and dev textures.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Why start over? You've already put the work in to get it like this and it will play the same whether you start over without trims and dev textures or not. But the next time you start a map, you'll probably want to leave out the trimwork like I said. But don't start over. Let's play it first.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
You can make edits to what you have in plain dev brushes too. No need to start over unless you really believe it'd be beneficial.