King of the Hill - Copy Pasting Problem

Gravidea

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2017
Lately I have been working on creating my first Team Fortress 2 map with the intended game mode to be King of the Hill, with the help of UEAKCrash's "How to make TF2 Maps" tutorial. I have a whole half of the map created, which also includes blue's spawn point, but now I am having some issues. I had planned to copy this half of the map, then spin it around and attach both sides at the middle.

After that I planned to change all the spawn doors and areas on the newly copied half to make that the red side of the map. The problem simply is that I cannot do that. After copying the map, then pasting it, Hammer editor instantly decides to close itself, with no error message. It just simply disappears, then when I reload with the autosave, the new copy has not been made.

I have also tried grouping everything together, then copy and pasting it, and that doesn't seem to work either, and the editor simply closes itself again. My question simply is; is this a problem with hammer editor, or my computer not being able to handle the process, and is there a way to fix it so that I can finally move on to finishing my map? If any screenshots are needed, I will provide them. Thank you in advance if you can help!

Last edited:

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
It does that quite often if you're copying a lot of things over while having Hammer open for a while (it's also dependent on computer specs, I believe). It's just Hammer being Hammer.

Is it just simple brushes you're copying across or props included as well?

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
It does that quite often if you're copying a lot of things over while having Hammer open for a while (it's also dependent on computer specs, I believe). It's just Hammer being Hammer.

Is it just simple brushes you're copying across or props included as well?

Props are included as well. I'm not sure if this is one of the factoring reasons, but the way that I had been selecting everything on the map was by using Map, then going to Map Properties, which for some reason selects everything on the map (I'm sure there's another way to select everything on the map, but I'm a newbie at this, and I haven't noticed it yet). Is there possibly another way to select all?

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Well I don't recommend using that way of selecting everything at all, it selects worldspawn and that's what must crash it after copying, better just drag your selection box of selection tool over the entirety of the map.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Basically you're selecting too much to copy at once and Hammer crashes out.

What you could do is disable the Props visgroup, Select All (or use the selection box method), then copy the brushes across. Then do the same method so you just have the props selected and then copy those across too.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Did a bit research.
If I have nothing in the map at all and click Map Properties, yes it does add a selection which must be our worldspawn (coordinates of which are considered 0, 0, 0, and which is visualized by the RGB axis arrows).
I copied that and pasted - Hammer crashed.
I think I can consider my theory confirmed and @Gravidea can just use dragging over the entire map for selecting to see if it fixes their problem which it probably will.

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
@Crowbar and @Micnax thank you very much for responding to my thread, and helping me find the solution. Indeed, the fact was that using that method to select the whole map was the wrong way to do it, and the correct way was to click "Edit" then click "Select All" at the bottom of the drop down. Thank you both for putting your effort into responding quickly and helpfully. I am glad to know that I can ask questions here and expect an answer in the future. I may now continue working on my King of the Hill map, and hopefully put it into an alpha stage soon!

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
The more traditional way to select everything is to zoom out in top down view and draw a square around everything with select tool. If it doesn't select everything after releasing Mouse1 then you have to press Enter and then you have everything selected