Kind-of new to mapping, help me?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by colbehr, Oct 12, 2013.

1. colbehr

colbehr L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have used hammer before, I even almost finished a map, but it was so buggy that I stopped for a while. I think I messed with all the files of sdk and tf2, so much that lots of things are broken.
    - the hammer in tools sdk, can't load any maps.
    - the hammer in the tf2\bin doesn't have any entities
    - neither have a brush for landscape texturing (I saw a fix for this somewhere)
    - I think there is more, just can't think of them

Should I just delete sdk and tf and reinstall them? or are these easy to fix?

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    The "Source SDK" in the tools section of Hammer is not needed nor usable for TF2, if you have no other need of it, you can remove it if you like. However, it also won't cause any problems if left there.

If you have no entities, it sounds like your FGD is missing and/or not used. There should be a tf.fgd in the bin folder. If it isn't, try verifying TF2 to get it reacquired. When you go to Tools>Options in Hammer, on the Game Configurations tab that FGD should be listed in the box for "Game data files", if it isn't, and it exists in your bin, you can hit the button to add it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. colbehr

colbehr L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i just wasn't using tf.fgd, do you know what size an average pl map should be, approximately. thanks for the reply

4. Fish 2.0

Fish 2.0 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    There is a thread that contains every map decompiled from TF2. Download one, and if your computer can handle it take a look and see. I, however, would suggest to just map and learn scale that way. Scale is definitely something that comes with time and experience and chances are your first map will definitely be dodgy in that respect.