killingJoke - Competitive CTF Map Testing

Jindo

L3: Member
Aug 6, 2009
I'm currently not in a position to accept new maps for testing, neither am I able to test any of these easily at the moment, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Hello,

Regarding the newest Major Mapping Contest, I have a proposition for mappers:

Our Competitive Team Will Playtest Your Contest Entries

killingJoke is a growing community, with 3 servers and a competitive war team. Having seen the newest contest, I thought it would be an idea to get our more competitive players involved, and they have very much agreed to help out!

If you are interested, your map will be tested in a competitive environment by teams of 6 players, they will thoroughly playtest your map and provide as much feedback as they can, specifically targetting your map's gameplay and how it could be improved for competitive players.

Since the testing will take place on our private server, we can also offer SourceTV demos to anyone who wants them.

---

We haven't organised everything just yet, we know that the first maps will be tested on the weekend. If you're interested in getting your map tested then let me know here or via Steam, the first maps requested will most likely be the first maps tested.

In terms of feedback, I plan eventually to get a page up on our site, which will list the maps being tested and allow for playtesters to post comments for everyone to see (I'll make sure that any feedback they have prior to this is sent to the mapper), SourceTV demos could probably be linked for download here as well.

Good luck with the contest everyone, if you have any further questions regarding this or the testers involved, please let me know!

---

Participants So Far (In The Order They Will Be Tested):

Map | Author | Status
ctf_arid|midget31394| Tested (a5)
ctf_assembly|The Political Gamer| Tested (a5)
ctf_nutomic|Nutomic| Tested (a2a)
ctf_desind|VFIG| Tested (a2)
ctf_rippleside|Eyce| Uploaded (a6b)
ctf_bristen|Bslashingu| Uploaded (a2)
ctf_soda|Colt Seavers| Uploaded (a7)
ctf_sabotage|grazr| Uploaded (a2)
ctf_steff0o|Steff0o|To Be Uploaded
ctf_sandvichcredit|supersandvich|To Be Uploaded
ctf_stockpile|Hanz|To Be Uploaded
ctf_clocktower|ScreamingGerbil|To Be Uploaded
ctf_alaska|zpqrei|To Be Uploaded
ctf_overlook|DBP|To Be Uploaded
ctf_fusion|Ravidge|To Be Uploaded
ctf_machina|Caliostro|To Be Uploaded
ctf_norma|Furex|To Be Uploaded
ctf_wiretap|Void|To Be Uploaded
ctf_converge|Psy|To Be Uploaded
ctf_solar|Selentic|To Be Uploaded

We will only test the same version once, if your map has already been tested but you would like us to test a new version, please let me know. We will test the latest version of your map when we get to it (So no need to tell me that your map has been updated if we haven't tested it yet!).

---

Map Feedback and Comments:

http://ctf.killingjoketf2.com/ Very WIP, and probably only Firefox compatible at the moment; I'm no good with website development in my defense, I'll have it sorted out later though. For now it lists the maps, clicking on them displays comments. (New Edit: ) Holek will be redoing the page later to support multiple browsers, design will probably improve from there as well.

Maps are added automatically when loaded in-game provided that they're CTF maps, players will be able to send notes to the database (for the map that they're playing.)

Players who were in-game will also be able to leave some form constructive feedback on the site when testing is over (including how the game played, and how it could be improved from a competitive point of view).

Last edited:

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
ctf_nutomic, i would appreciate if you tested it :)

Its a wip name, just if you are wondering ;)

If you need a player, ask me.

Dec 25, 2007
That's a wonderful offer by you and your team, Jindo. Getting feedback from the actual target audience on how my map plays will be a goldmine.

My map is ctf_desind (working title).

Jindo

Aug 6, 2009
Updated the list.

I can't garauntee that everyone will get their maps tested this weekend but we'll aim to test as many as we can, and probably test more maps on weekdays.

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
Great offer! Mine is called ctf_soda (was Mountain Spring) - new release due out later today so don't bother with the first version. I'm patient - so happy to wait my turn - but would be ace to get you guys testing and commenting - then I can spend my days with targetted changes 8)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?ltr=S&t=11470

ctf_sabotage is my map, but don't bother with _a1 unless you have nothing better to do. _a2 is coming out with a slightly refined layout and basic details soon enough. It'd be great if you can test _a2, i'll let you know when it updates via PM; or if you have a community forum i could create a thread over there that's more local for you guys to post feedback in.

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
ctf_steff0o_a5

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
CTF Hanz! :D

Link is in my sig. :)

Jindo

Aug 6, 2009
Updated the list, and I'm currently preparing my server for tomorrow's play testing.

The maps tested will be the first 2 maps on the list of the first post, we may test more depending on how much time we have/how willing the players are, currently I'm looking at 2 a day starting from tomorrow, but we may fit some in during the day rather than just evenings.

As I previously mentioned, I plan to have a web page up which will display feedback and downloads for SourceTV demos, as I mentioned I am preparing my server for the testing and I've developed a small feature for our testing server which plays a part in this:

Players in-game will type /n or /note, followed by a small note/bug/glitch/comment regarding the map, this comment is logged to the website with the map, the player's name, and their class and team at the time of the report (this is so that if the player reports an issue which could be specific to their class/team, the information will be there and fixing any issues will be made easy for the mapper.)

This system will also allow for the testers to later go to the site and write up comprehensive details/thoughts on the map (it only allows for testers who were in-game to comment), this is completely optional to them but I will encourage as many of them to do so as possible whenever possible.

---

Until this system is fully online they will be posting feedback in our private forums which I will relay to the mappers. Any notes they make in-game won't be viewable on any fancy web interface but they will be stored so that when the interface is complete mappers will be able to see (I aim to get an interface up this weekend.)