CTF Kelly b6a

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Kelly - no

You guys know who Ned Kelly is right?

A map for the Pick-it-up contest thing

ctf with a round timer and an overtime mechanic. If both teams have the same score when the round ends, everyone respawns and the flags move near mid. The next team to cap wins. Overtime lasts 2 min and if no one caps during Overtime it's a stalemate. This idea is somewhat inspired by overwatch's ctf mode and the map layout is somewhat inspired by the overwatch ctf map Ayutthaya.

the map is overall kinda small in an attempt to get players to actually play the dang objective for once.

TheFluffycart

L3: Member
Jul 6, 2019
Hey, I booted up the map and I noticed a few things while running around (Might be intentional, or it might not be. Sorry if they're intended).

For the first screenshot, these stairs on either side are not clipped, leading to bumpy vision when going up

For the second screenshot, the waterfall is somehow defying the laws of gravity, and going up a hill. (Minor, but still weird)

For the third screenshot, a scout can jump from the bench, to the little wall for the bush, and up to the one way in the span of 4-6 seconds. Is that supposed to happen? (Also, the bench isn't clipped. It's really awkward jumping onto it because it has 2 levels.)

This last screenshot, is because the bushes at mid aren't even. I have a feeling you meant to have it this way, but I wanted to double check.

I also want to add though that if blue caps once then nothing else happens for the round, red still wins? This also happens for red team. Other win conditions are fine.

Besides that, this feels like a really solid map, and I can't wait to play it with actual people

Attachments

• ctf_kelly_a10002.jpg
    ctf_kelly_a10002.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 167
  • ctf_kelly_a10004.jpg
    ctf_kelly_a10004.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 179
  • ctf_kelly_a10006.jpg
    ctf_kelly_a10006.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 172
  • ctf_kelly_a10007.jpg
    ctf_kelly_a10007.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 165

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012
-Hedges are on purpose to block a sightline
-Didn't even think about that scout jump
-Thought I clipped those water feature stairs
-It's not that the water goes uphill on purpose, I just thought it was funny and didn't bother to fix it for how early the map is in dev right now

As for one team capturing the flag once then just defending, idk what to really do about that. My hope is that with the map being short and the design of the flag room will allow attackers to have many options for dealing with defenses. It seems that either you risk a round lasting hours by not having a time limit, or chance one team defending with one point to win a shorter round, letting another one play out after. The only thing I could think of was to try to encourage at least a tie so the overtime mechanic can kick in and give each team as much of a chance of winning as possible.

TheFluffycart

L3: Member
Jul 6, 2019
As for one team capturing the flag once then just defending, idk what to really do about that. My hope is that with the map being short and the design of the flag room will allow attackers to have many options for dealing with defenses. It seems that either you risk a round lasting hours by not having a time limit, or chance one team defending with one point to win a shorter round, letting another one play out after. The only thing I could think of was to try to encourage at least a tie so the overtime mechanic can kick in and give each team as much of a chance of winning as possible.
I more meant that red capping = blue win, and blue capping = red win. Figured some things were intentional, but just wanted to bring them to the spotlight ^^

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012
-simplified base layout to try and make it less convoluted
-new base layout should make upper windows into flag room more obvious
-removed drop down spawn exit
-edited mid areas to fit modified base enterances
changed tall foliage props at mid to be smaller and unable to be hidden in by players
-removed health from side mid route and added health and ammo by the planters behind the left hedge
-rotated spawns to point at the door leading to mid to make it more obvious for players to go that way
-extended length of trigger brush for spawn doors
-re-enabled ctf overtime
-capturing the flag now adds 60 seconds to the clock, this plus ctf overtime should give teams some extra time to capture flags and try to make a comeback

Read the rest of this update entry...

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012
-changed around the left side of flag room (side opposite of spawn) to increase flag room size
-decreased width of some walls to increase the size of the flag room
-fixed waterfall going up
-made the waterfalls look all nice (thanks for the help with that Freyja)
-fixed broken overtime tie breaker logic
-fixed crashing (I hope)
-changed around props in upper room with windows overseeing the flag room

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012
-more detailing than needed
-optimization pass
-env lighting changes and sun angle change to lighten up outdoor areas
-widened some paths into base
-fixed broken logic
-moved desk back at cap zone to stop sentries from being able to be hid behind it
-updated cubemaps to work better with detailing
-made flag capture areas more obvious
-updated tiebreaker! mechanic (previously called overtime)
-tiebreaker now uses comp tiebreaker announcer lines
-tiebreaker now has a forward spawn
-large parts of the base close off during tiebreaker round
-increased tie round setup time from 8 to 10 seconds
-lowered flag return time from 30 sec to 20 sec

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012
-DETAILING!
-lighting changes
-detailing
-widened up left side of intel room
-made wall by flag in intel room wider to give more cover
-more detailing
-changed water from powerhouse water to well water so it can be seen through better
-detailing
-ignored red side
-added platform under windows in intel room
-curves