Katsu's Mega Map Picture Thread!

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
If you ever want pictures of TF2 maps, this is the place to go. I'll try to post once (or more >w>) a day.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 21st, 2022
Airfield.jpg

koth_airfield_b7, by @ScorpioUprising
Gamemode: King of the Hill
Airfield has been a staple of competitive 4v4 matches in both UGC & RSL.
Airfield is also on the TF2 Workshop, located here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454123193

> This picture was taken about half a year ago for a custom mapping wiki project I started that I was way too in over my head about, and I ended up incorporating some features (primarily skyboxes & map theming) into my custom maps collection page. When I took this picture, I wanted 3 things to be clear: The Control Point, the theming, and a decent view of the sky.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 21st, 2022 (#2)
5Borge.jpg

cp_5borge, by @Muddy
Gamemode: Symmetrical Control Points (5CP)
5Borge is a variant of 5Gorge that turns normal 5Gorge's Mid into it's last and normal 5Gorge's Last into it's Mid. It's confusing.
5Borge is only available on map archival sites such as http://www.rotabland.eu/maps/maps.php , sadly.

> I think in retrospect, this picture would've been better as a view of Mid or Last, as those are definitely the most defining elements of 5Borge. However, I do love my 5Gorge 2nd bridge. There's just something about it that makes me go, "Yeah, this'd make a nice shot." I do it with just about every picture of a Gorge Variant I do XD

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 21st, 2022 (#3)
Artpass Huckle.jpg

artpass_huckle_rc2, by @Huckle
Gamemode: Attack / Defense (3CP)
Artpass Huckle was an entry into the Artpass Contest, a contest jointly held by Valve & TF2Maps to Artpass a valve-provided map. The Winners, which were Mountain Lab & Mann Manor, were accepted into TF2 in 2010.
Huckle's Artpass map, as well as every Artpass Contest map, can be found here: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/art-pass-contest-entries-2010.7611/

> I distinctly remember having difficulty taking photos of most of the Artpass Contest maps after a certain because as you keep taking pictures of the same map geography, only having been detailed differently, it becomes hard to find pleasing camera angles for photos because you've already SEEN most of them! In fact, this exact shot is similar to another photo I took of timberghost paintball's entry into the contest months earlier. My main objective with this photo was to get a picture of at least one of the control points, as they're the focal point of Attack/Defense. I also really super-duper wanted part of the shot to have the moon because I mean, Look at it! It's so pretty~

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 21st, 2022 (#4)
Hooood.jpg

pl_hooood_a1, by @YM
Gamemode: Single-Stage Payload
Hooood was an entry into UEAKCrash's 2016 April Fools-day Mini-Contest, where it placed 9th. It is an incredibly edited version of Hoodoo, made by YM himself!

> For this picture, there wasn't a particular objective I had in mind when I took it as I was just super-duper excited to finally have gotten it on the TF2Maps Discord. I think I did a good job in my excitement though, I got the perfect capture of what Hoodoo feels like when looking at it for the first time: Dusty, Flashy buildings and the funny Hoodoo ticking clock bomb. Ah, yes, and the Hoodoos themselves.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 21st, 2022 (#5)
Soccer.jpg

pass_soccer_b3, by @Axl
Gamemode: PASS Time
This map is a Team Fortress 2 conversion of a somewhat old Garry's Mod map of the same name, made for Extreme Football Throwdown.
You can find this map on the TF2 Workshop right here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=528683723

> So a bit of a fun fact: This is actually the 3rd time I've taken a picture of pass_soccer! I took a picture of it the first time for a YouTube thumbnail, the second time for the failed TF2 Custom Mapping Wiki, and this third time just... well, to have it I guess. I found it kind of funny I had 2 versions of the same map in such similar angles. Also, you may be wondering; "This has to be medieval mode, right?" Well, it's not. And it plays about as well as you expect. I love the map though, it's dumb fun lol

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 22nd, 2022
Bananarama.jpg

af_bananarama, by @puxorb
Gamemode: April Fools (Bananarama)
This map was made for the April Fools 2019 Gameday. It's sadly not available on any of the major map sites, and is only findable through map archives.

> When I loaded up this map for the first time and looked around, I instantly knew what I was going to take a picture of: The amazing sign on the island. It's just so perfect for what kind of map Bananarama is.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 23rd, 2022
Grazr (PL).jpg

pl_batt_grazr_a9, by @grazr
This map was made for a 2011 contest called the "Build Around the Track" contest, in which it placed 1st. The Build Around the Track contest, or BATT Contest for short, actually inspired the idea of Microcontest #6! The BATT contest was organized by @littleedge.
You Can find the map on this map archival site: http://www.rotabland.eu/maps/maps.php

> My main objective for this picture was to really get a feel for what the aesthetics of this map were. I think I sort of missed the mark though, as one of the bigger elements of the map is the sea you can see at (no, not C) A and a bit into B. The focal point I *really* wanted to emphasize with this photo was the lighthouse you can see on the montain, but I couldn't get a good shot of it unless I were to make the photo deliberately worse. This picture was also mainly taken for my custom maps collection's theme page.

Last edited:

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 24th, 2022
Hacksaw.jpg

plr_hacksaw_b5, by @Diva Dan
Gamemode: Single-Stage Payload Race
Hacksaw was originally created for the Payload Checklist under the name "Hacker." From A1 to A6A, the map used a forest theme similar to Landfall, however beginning in B1 the map switched to a more snowy appearance. Additionally, there is an Arena mode version of the Alpha map.

> As soon as I saw the amazing skybox Hacksaw used (in b5 anyway), I immediately knew I wanted to take a photo of the sun in it. But I needed a good angle with it, and some proper detail in the map to really make the picture work. I don't just want the mountain landscape, y'know? So my first instinct was to take a picture of the big tree rockets, but they ended up being way too big for a good photo in my opinion. So instead, I looked around the map a bit, did some flying, and found this great-looking part right next to the lowest death pit; It's got the theme, it's got the mountains, it's got the sun and it's even got a health pack! Perfectly incorporating everything.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 25th, 2022
Furnace Creek.jpg

cp_furnace_rc, by @YM
Gamemode: Gravel Pit-Style A/D
Furnace Creek was included in Season 3 of UGC's 6v6 Competitive League.

> So, when I was flying around the map initially I knew with the entirety of my being that this tower was the singular thing I wanted my photos to have as a focal point of this map. It's just too Iconic. What I did not realize at first however, is that when 1 minute is left on the clock, the giant solar laser on the top of the tower actually tilts upwards and begins to charge! So I took my first 2 photos of the map with the laser as it is normally, pointed straight ahead and not charging. It just goes to show that hanging around on a map can definitely show a player some of the more "minor" details mappers put into their map.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 26th, 2022
Highwood.jpg

pl_highwood_b19, by @Asd417
Highwood was made for the Payload Checklist Contest, in which it placed first. It has since continued development, and is now featured on TF2Maps!

> So, I took this picture on a whim because I was in kind of a bad mood because our internet has been out all weekend thus far and it's been really bumming me out. My main goal here was to get a good shot of the nice skybox (sky_yuki_01!!!) that Highwood has, as well as some of the tree lines. I also wanted to get one of the checkpoints in the picture somehow, so that's why I'm at point B. Retrospectively I noticed the "HighWood Storage" Logo about the gate in the bottom left which is actually kind of cool. I initially wanted to include part of the mega tree that would be behind where this picture was taken, but I decided against it as I felt it would take up too much of the frame.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 26th, 2022 (#2)
Sultry.jpg

cp_sultry_b4a, by @PigPig
Sultry is currently a Featured Map on TF2Maps. Personally, I hope it becomes a comp TF2 map, as it'd be such a stand-out map amongst the primarily Alpine & Desert maps.

> I think I took this photo when I was initially setting up CatComp, and I was rounding up the maps I wanted to use for Season 1 of 6v6. I remember Sultry striking my eye, as it looked really nice and really fun. So, I ran around it a bit, and I instantly fell in love with the map; The visuals are great, I love how it plays, and overall it's just a quality map! I can see why it's featured on the site. Sultry was definitely one of the more interesting maps to watching during CatComp's first season, I wish I had a fast way to record each match and upload it.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 28th, 2022
Camber.jpg

pl_camber_rc3, by @Bakscratch
Camber is a map born from the 2017 Summer 72hour Jam, where it was featured in that year's showcase! As well as that, Camber was included in the creators.tf map pool before it shut down.

> My main goal for this shot was to get both sides of the mountainous terrain of this shot into a more "square" view, which is why I went with this angle. I've done a shot of Camber before, but that was way out into the ravine and with a more square shape in mind not all of the actual map would be seen, so I went with this. I think it turned out pretty well!

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 29th, 2022
Granal Probe.jpg

cp_granal_probe, by littleboots
Granal Probe is a Halloween version of CP Granary, made for the Penny Arcade servers in roughly 2008-2009. It's main theme isn't really "spooky," but more alien-related stuff.

> I can't remember when I took this photo, but from what I can tell I was probably trying to go for a cornucopia of the map's overall theming: The Aliens, the Spooky-ish-ness (the broken barn), and RED Team's last control point. I know whenever I like to take pictures of Granary Edits that Last & Mid are my favourite spots, so this is definitely why I took this HERE instead of Mid.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
March 30th, 2022
Nordhaven.jpg

ctf_nordhaven_b3, by @Ezekel
Gamemode: Capture the Flag
Nordhaven is a CTF map released in December 2009. It uses a custom skybox that's (unfortunately) hidden by the snowstorm in the sky.
You can find Nordhaven here!: https://gamebanana.com/mods/70857

> There's not much here for me to note, as there was really only one iconic location on this map that made sense to screenshot: The Plaza at mid!! It looks so pretty, what with all the cute lanterns and lights and the treeee... and especially for 2009 standards, this map looks good! I quite like the (I think??) custom texture on the ground, it makes it feel like we're in the UK somehow.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
April 1st, 2022
Green Hill.jpg

koth_green_hill, by @Mystic Monkey
Green Hill is a TF2 Adaptation of Green Hill Zone, a well-known stage from Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Generations, and many more Sonic games. It features custom Health & Ammo pickups in the form of item bubbles that contain different effects. They sort of work like Mannpower Powerups if they were (mostly) balanced.
--Get the Map right here!: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/green-hill.5672/

Last edited:

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
April 1st, 2022 (#2)
Trainsawlaser Pro.jpg

koth_trainsawlaser_pro_rc1, by @Crash
Trainsawlaser Pro is, obviously, a "PRO!" version of Trainsawlaser, a very infamous custom map. It was actually featured in every season of "Ready, Steady, Pan" from Season 3 onward, which is very nice to see :)
--Get the Map Here!: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454763946&searchtext=Trainsawlaser

> With this particular shot, I found it really hard to find anywhere fun to take pictures of aside from mid because, well, obviously it's a huge centerpiece of the map! Everyone knows Trainsawlaser's mid. You have the laser, the point, the other laser, the saws... it all comes together to form a map of madness that stands the test of time. And you don't really have anywhere else that embodies Trainsawlaser like than in the Pro version.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
April 1st, 2022 (#3)
TF2Ware.jpg

tf2ware_v2e, by @TonyBaretta
Gamemode: TF2Ware
This is the original TF2Ware map from waaaaaaay back in 2013! (Almost 10 years now?? qwq) It's got everything that made TF2Ware great, with a bunch of microgames to play and a surprisingly decent amount of Final Boss stages!

> So, with TF2Ware's original map, the area which you can move around in is relatively small. Which makes sense, given the nature of TF2Ware. Howeeeeever that makes it kind of difficult to get a nice-looking shot of the normal platform itself and the water beneath it. So instead of going with a really high overhead picture, I instead went with a more low-to-the-ground image as I really really liked the skybox this map has (Those weird polygonal cubes are sooooo cute! * >w< *) and I wanted to include it.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
April 3rd, 2022
Atlantic.jpg

tc_atlantic_v1, by Tekcor17 (https://gamebanana.com/members/408730)
Gamemode: Territorial Control
Atlantic is the step-brother of the two 'much' more famous Territory Control maps, Strata & Meridian. The map definitely shows it's age, being made in late 2008, however that doesn't stop Atlantic from being one of the more notable TC maps in TF2 history. After all, it was made by the same guy who made the now-infamous PL Dustbowl!
--You can find the map right here!: https://gamebanana.com/mods/74828

> I find Atlantic very unique among its TC Peers. Unlike Meridian, it's a lot easier to take in at once; It's just Territory Control, like tc_hydro. And unlike BOTH Meridian and Strata, the overall theming of the map doesn't change that much no matter what areas you're playing in. I found the area in this screenshot in particular to be a good example of the overall vibe of Atlantic, as it shows a lot of height differences, a Control Point, and a wide landscape available to players when the enter the territory. And unlike Hydro, it's not super claustrophobic with all of its routes between points.