Joining serves with un-repacked maps

JMaxchill

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 21, 2015
If my version of a map is repacked and I join a server running the same map but un-repacked (or the other way round), what happens?
e: Title should read servers

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
You'll get a "Server map differs from client" error. - I asked Jill (who's responsible for the packing implementation in TF2) if it'd be possible to fix and he said it wasn't in their immediate list of priorities because it's a very low-level change that might have unforeseen consequences.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
You'll get a "Server map differs from client" error. - I asked Jill (who's responsible for the packing implementation in TF2) if it'd be possible to fix and he said it wasn't in their immediate list of priorities because it's a very low-level change that might have unforeseen consequences.
Ask 'em again why a bug fix is low on their priority list, and what Valve considers high priority.

Also ask why SFM still doesn't accept repacked maps.

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Ask 'em again why a bug fix is low on their priority list, and what Valve considers high priority.

Also ask why SFM still doesn't accept repacked maps.
The map versions do fundamentally differ, adding support for it to recognize that they are in fact the same is a feature, not a simple bugfix.
Also my guess for the SFM stuff is that the project belongs to a separate team at Valve who don't think it's important as a simple workaround is already in place.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
A team of currently zero people, judging by how long it's gone without any updates.