Joining serves with un-repacked maps

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by JMaxchill, Oct 29, 2015.

1. JMaxchill

JMaxchill L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    If my version of a map is repacked and I join a server running the same map but un-repacked (or the other way round), what happens?
    e: Title should read servers

2. Geit

aa Geit 💜 I probably broke it 💜

Positive Ratings:
    You'll get a "Server map differs from client" error. - I asked Jill (who's responsible for the packing implementation in TF2) if it'd be possible to fix and he said it wasn't in their immediate list of priorities because it's a very low-level change that might have unforeseen consequences.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Careful Gordon.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  4. Vel0city

aa Vel0city personal pick-pocketing parrot

Positive Ratings:
    Ask 'em again why a bug fix is low on their priority list, and what Valve considers high priority.

Also ask why SFM still doesn't accept repacked maps.

5. Geit

aa Geit 💜 I probably broke it 💜

Positive Ratings:
    The map versions do fundamentally differ, adding support for it to recognize that they are in fact the same is a feature, not a simple bugfix.
    Also my guess for the SFM stuff is that the project belongs to a separate team at Valve who don't think it's important as a simple workaround is already in place.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    A team of currently zero people, judging by how long it's gone without any updates.