CP Jareths Labyrinth

SiliconeSoldier

L1: Registered
Aug 6, 2009
My first TF2 map is a symmetrical standard 5 cp with each point given a different look. Lots of custom models/textures. It is loosely based on the Jim Henson film from 1986. The main path is a somewhat straight line connecting all points. A side path (outskirts) connects A/B/C and C/D/E. The tunnel path (oubliette) connects B/C/D.

For the movie fans: Areas represented are Sarah and her parents' bedrooms, stone labyrinth, wasteland outskirts, hedge labyrinth, tunnel of hands, oubliette, forest, bog of eternal stench, goblin city, castle throne room, and Escher's relativity room.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Holy shit dude this is awesome. This is the only time a map that ignores the TF2 artstyle will impress me.

SiliconeSoldier

Aug 6, 2009
Weird. I added a map overview as the featured screenshot, but it doesn't show here in the gallery. Not sure where it went.

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
486.jpg

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I really love your detailing, especially the Escher Room. It's all very spot on and the modeling is pretty good. Unfortunately I don't see it playing very well... the amount of long corridors (both narrow and wide) combined with the long walk distances make me think it will either feel empty or like a Scoutfest. But it seriously looks great.

SiliconeSoldier

Aug 6, 2009
It has been tested with bots and humans, but not yet with 32 human players. Being a larger map, it is intended to be played with 24-32 players. I agree that anything less than 20 will probably feel empty. In the tests, it never turned into a scoutfest. I knew I'd have to strain the TF2 formula to make this map, because this goblin world is full of narrow corridors. I tried to find a balance that looked enough like the Labyrinth world but also was TF2 playable.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Hi, I played through your map because I liked the movie a lot as a kid. I found the map really visually appealing, and the gameplay wasn't all too bad either. The refrences to the movie's stuff was really cool, like the secret entrence into the labrynth and the ladders coming out of 'the tunnel'.

I played it out with 11 bots (and me, so 6v6), and it played pretty well actually. Someone up there ^ said the hallways were really cramped, and I agree in some cases near point C. When one team captures point C they all jump off the bridge into the tunnel going to B or D, and if anyone on the other team is also going through that tunnel they are screwed.

There were a couple bugs I noticed on my playthrough:

Capture point skins stay after round end.

Same thing with this capture point aswell. Probably the same for A and B, but I checked and the skin goes back to nuetral at point C.

Giant shadow from nothing? Looked around and nothing I see causes this, so maybe you have some weird model thing going on. Not sure.

I'd like to see this played somewhere with human players to see what was going on. The bots weren't all that great because they didn't focus on the capture points all that much. I'd be after say capture point D and the only bots coming to help turned out to be spys from the opposite team coming to kill me.

SiliconeSoldier

Aug 6, 2009
That's a great note. I hadn't noticed the capture points skin problems before. The capture trigger does tell it to use skin 2 when Team 2 (blue) captures it, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I've been perplexed what is causing the shadow issue for a couple weeks now. I think I'll just start turning off prop shadows in that area until I figure it out.

Bots are really slow about getting to the capture points they should be at. When I test with at least 10v10 bots, there are usually 2-3 that will run to the point with me. If you're so inclined, try it with more bots and see if it plays better.

The "S" shaped tunnels can get pretty cramped at times and I think making them wider would also require making them longer distance (for optimization purposes). I'm afraid the best solution at this point would be to remove the curves and remake them as wide "Z" shapes or a sharp corner to cut off visibility between the areas while still fitting in the space provided.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Not to be a stick in the mud, but Escher's work does have an actively enforced copyright on it, so using his work in your map could get lawyers mad at you.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
That shadow could be something from the 3D skybox occupying the same space

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Not to be a stick in the mud, but Escher's work does have an actively enforced copyright on it, so using his work in your map could get lawyers mad at you.

I doubt he plans on selling it, considering the whole thing is based off a movie as it is.

My bet is on the 3d skybox for that shadow, too.