I've read tutorials but I can't get lighting right for the life of me.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by JMRboosties, Jul 10, 2010.

1. JMRboosties

JMRboosties L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi, I'm working on a map and I have trouble with the light_spot entity. I read interloper's guide and did as it said, but it isn't giving me the results I want...

Basically when I use a light_spot it might as well be pitch black in the rooms with the exception of a tiny light source at the light model, which I suspect may be from the prop itself. Using light entities I can make the rooms look just fine, but when I see how Valve does it and all tutorials they rely almost solely on light_spot entities, and I want to do it right. Here is a screen cap of my light_spot entity's stats, I am using just plain white for now and my brightness is at 800.

[​IMG]

I searched the forums before posting this topic for tutorials or similar threads, thanks reading and any advice you can give!

2. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    it looks as if you were putting the light inside the prop. lower it below the prop and try that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. JMRboosties

Positive Ratings:
    ah, i had no idea a light_spot that overlapped with the prop shut off altogether. i'll give that a shot.

4. JMRboosties

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

that was really simple! thanks a lot man

5. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Your also going to want to use an env_lightglow and a point_spotlight to get the full effect.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    That's more subjective. A good number of people consider using either of those entities on fluorescent lights unrealistic.

7. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Tru Blu, though I suppose I was thinking more of his first screenshot where there is a lamp. For those lamps I use point_sportlight, light_spot, env_lightglow, and a regular light entity (as is done in whatever valve map i decompiled years ago to check out the settings)

8. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Turning off your props shadows will allow you to place lights inside it and still illuminate your rooms.

It's also wise to set light props to no collision too.

• Thanks Thanks x 2