I've never had this happen to me before

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by UltraWizard, Jul 13, 2011.

1. UltraWizard

UltraWizard L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm uploading a video to youtube that simply shows you the problem, but it's taking forever for some reason, so I'll edit this later with a link and just attempt to describe the problem now.

Basically, there's a small section of my map that doesn't show up in game when you are standing in certain spots. When you stand in one area, it appears as if it has the nodraw texture, allowing you to see through it to the skybox, but if you move a little, it suddenly appears. This is obviously not what it should be doing, and I can't seem to fix it.
    I've tried using the compile log checker, but it doesn't find any errors.

Here's how it should look: http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/BionicGinger/hl22011-07-1314-02-10-45.jpg

Here's how it looks when you move to a new spot: http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/BionicGinger/hl22011-07-1314-02-04-95.jpg

And here's how it looks when you stand right next to that angled ramp: http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/BionicGinger/hl22011-07-1314-02-21-17.jpg

That last pic makes me think that the ramp has something to do with it, but I'm not exactly the most experienced mapper, so help would be nice, and if you need any more information, just let me know.

2. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    can you post a picture of what it looks like in hammer?

3. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    You have some badly cut visleaves. I'm assuming that nothing in that area is a func_detail?

4. UltraWizard

Positive Ratings:
  5. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    i would change the invisible brush to a clip brush and then changed the ramp itself to a func_detail

6. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    might not hurt if you made the platform it came off of a func_detail either...
    or put a hint/skip brush covering the whole block and kind of "filling in" the space that the ramp occupies now.

7. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
  8. UltraWizard

Positive Ratings:
    Well i decided to just delete the ramp and start over. The first time I made it, i got lazy and just moved all the vertices's so it was at an angle, and that probably messed it up. The second time, i broke out my awesome geometry skills to figure out what angle to turn the ramp by using ctrl+m and rotating the z axis, which fixed the problem.

That fixed the problems with the disappearing brushes, and now I'm looking into optimizing what i have, then the rest of the map as I go., which probably wont fun. I appreciate the help.