Issues regarding pakrat.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Doggo, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Doggo

Doggo L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm a relatively new mapper, and this is my first attempt at using custom textures. Problem is that packrat isn't really working out for me.

It finds things and adds them just fine, but people still can't see the textures I added. Note that the entire map is filled with custom textures, specifically the textures used in css.

2. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    So if you load your map and click auto, it adds the textures into the list. But you have to save the bsp too from the menu so they get packed in.

I'm a fortune teller and i suspect many people will arrive to diss pakrat any second now.

3. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Don't use pakrat. It's buggy and outdated. Try VIDE (outclasses pakrat) or CompilePal (a compile tools wrapper that also does the packing and lotta more for you).
    Also, if your map is serious, don't use realistic textures where really visible. Feel free to ignore that if it's not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Doggo

Positive Ratings:
    I tried, but I couldn't find any tutorials for it.

5. Viperi

aa Viperi Lord Procrastination

Positive Ratings:
    There. Now it doesn't tell everything about packing with VIDE, but something.

6. Doggo

Positive Ratings:
    Alright so I used VIDE, but it still doesn't work.

7. Aquadango

Aquadango L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Use compilepal, I got the content to work somehow.

8. Doggo

Positive Ratings:
    Tried that too, didn't work either.

9. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  10. Doggo

Positive Ratings:
    When compiled(in all 3 programs.), the textures remain broken.

11. Werewolf

aa Werewolf Probably not a real Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Should have put money on it, because @Crowbar owes you now!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Aquadango

Aquadango L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    There is a setting in compilepal that says"pack" and it'll pack all of your content.

13. Messing Around

Messing Around L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    make sure you lead right to the folder where you stored your custom textures

for example: [tf2/tf/custom] not gonna work, but [tf2/tf/custom/mayann] will

14. Doggo

Positive Ratings:
    I have done both.

15. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    So to recap, you've tried using Pacrat, Vide and CompilePal, all to no effect? Have you given BspZip a try? I'll be the first to admit it can be a bitch to work with and it's because of that people prefer other options, but it still works to pack content and compress maps.

16. Doggo

Positive Ratings:
    I'll try it now, 1 sec.

17. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Unfortunately it won't take you "1 sec". Depending on how much you have to pack into your map, you could be writing your pack list for some time.

I'm not trying to put you off using BspZip, but it's not the quickest option and its only fair that disclaimer is front and center.

18. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    Seriously speaking, atleast one of those three programs should work for you. Vide, pakrat or compilepal. Different people here use all of these all the time to do the packing. If you can't get any of them work, it's time to look into a mirror or a deep read manual, instructions, video on how to use them or something.

It might be something on your machine that prevents them working but that's kind of rare.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Doggo

Positive Ratings:
    I'm probably missing something, but I really can't think of why.

20. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Well BspZip is the only one that doesn't need any 3rd party programs because it's what Valve use and provide. It's literally in the 'steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin' folder. BspZipGui is optional, but not needed.

I think what we need to see is what you do exactly, step by step. If you can record what you do with something like FRAPs or nVidia Share (formerly 'Shadowplay') then do that. Otherwise lots of screenshots and most importantly, lots of detail. If you are messing up somewhere, it always helps to have a 2nd pair of eyes to pick up on what you miss.