Isometric screenshots

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Boylee, May 16, 2010.

1. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    I've noticed recently that a lot of people have been posting isometric map overviews Like this one:
    [​IMG]

I tried seaching but I was unable to find much on the subject. The most informative post I found was this one by Terr.
    I'm sorry to say that I don't really 'get it' though. :mellow:

Would someone be so kind as to explain how it's done step by step please, or even make a tutorial? Many cookies will be bestowed upon the one to successfully endow the masses with this sacred knowledge. ;)

2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    If i understood Terr's post correctly, you must enable ortho view with camortho 1, then set your camera view with cl_orthoheight y and cl_orthowidth x. Try playing around with these, as that seems to be the best way to learn about most of TF2's functions.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    I think that it has something to do with this, but I have no clue how to actually do it.

4. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Details here:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showpost.php?p=148812&postcount=20

It's tricky to explain, easier to play around with. What you see on the screen starts to have a very different relationship to where your spectator "camera" is.

So, if I recall correctly:
    • This is not quite the same as the "level overview" stuff, it uses different console commands.
    • Join the map as a spectator.
    • Go into "thirdperson" mode before turning on the orthographic settings. This is not required, but it's nice because it means you can use "firstperson" and "thirdperson" to switch between orthographic (sim-city-style) and perspective (normal) mode. I have found no other way to disable orthographic mode once it has been enabled.
    • Turn on the "camortho"
    • The orthographic width/height settings (c_orthowidth, c_orthoheight) are basically what you use to "zoom" the image. By default they will be set far far too low.
    • The mouse controls the angle from which rendering occurs. If you want an exact angle, use the "setang X X X" command.
    • The position of your spectator camera determines which walls are drawn in front of which other walls.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  5. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    I make sure the height/width settings match the aspect ratio I'm running the game on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    :lol: that's the same post I linked to in the OP.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying Terr, makes a lot more sense now.
    Just to make sure I got this right, to achieve an isometric screenshot I should:
    1. Open up my map, enable cheats and switch to spectator
    2. Switch to thirdperson using thirdperson
    3. Switch to orthographic view by using camortho
    4. Play with c_orthowidth and c_orthoheight until I have desired level of 'zoom' (making sure the values fit my monitor's aspect ratio)
    5. Use the mouse to get the correct angle, or set the desired angle using setang X Y Z.
    6. Hit F5, which I have bound to take a screenshot.

I'm guessing that for best results I should have a spectator cam pointing in roughly the same direction I'm taking the screenshot from, unless I actually want to see through the walls, right?

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    It's actually probably in X Z Y format like everything else is. (pitch, yaw, roll)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks Booj, I did wonder if that was the case, I was hoping someone would pick up on it.

I might write a tutorial on this once I've got it all working properly.

9. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Yes it is.

• Thanks Thanks x 1