Isometric screenshots

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
I've noticed recently that a lot of people have been posting isometric map overviews Like this one:
ortho_science2.jpg

I tried seaching but I was unable to find much on the subject. The most informative post I found was this one by Terr.
I'm sorry to say that I don't really 'get it' though. :mellow:

Would someone be so kind as to explain how it's done step by step please, or even make a tutorial? Many cookies will be bestowed upon the one to successfully endow the masses with this sacred knowledge. ;)

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
If i understood Terr's post correctly, you must enable ortho view with camortho 1, then set your camera view with cl_orthoheight y and cl_orthowidth x. Try playing around with these, as that seems to be the best way to learn about most of TF2's functions.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
From some other console commands, I give you the latest Maxis game, Sim Well :p

Details here:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showpost.php?p=148812&postcount=20

It's tricky to explain, easier to play around with. What you see on the screen starts to have a very different relationship to where your spectator "camera" is.

So, if I recall correctly:
  • This is not quite the same as the "level overview" stuff, it uses different console commands.
  • Join the map as a spectator.
  • Go into "thirdperson" mode before turning on the orthographic settings. This is not required, but it's nice because it means you can use "firstperson" and "thirdperson" to switch between orthographic (sim-city-style) and perspective (normal) mode. I have found no other way to disable orthographic mode once it has been enabled.
  • Turn on the "camortho"
  • The orthographic width/height settings (c_orthowidth, c_orthoheight) are basically what you use to "zoom" the image. By default they will be set far far too low.
  • The mouse controls the angle from which rendering occurs. If you want an exact angle, use the "setang X X X" command.
  • The position of your spectator camera determines which walls are drawn in front of which other walls.

Last edited:

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Details here:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showpost.php?p=148812&postcount=20

It's tricky to explain, easier to play around with. What you see on the screen starts to have a very different relationship to where your spectator "camera" is.

So, if I recall correctly:
  • This is not quite the same as the "level overview" stuff, it uses different console commands.
  • Join the map as a spectator.
  • Go into "thirdperson" mode before turning on the orthographic settings. This is not required, but it's nice because it means you can use "firstperson" and "thirdperson" to switch between orthographic (sim-city-style) and perspective (normal) mode. I have found no other way to disable orthographic mode once it has been enabled.
  • Turn on the "camortho"
  • The orthographic width/height settings (c_orthowidth, c_orthoheight) are basically what you use to "zoom" the image. By default they will be set far far too low.
  • The mouse controls the angle from which rendering occurs. If you want an exact angle, use the "setang X X X" command.
  • The position of your spectator camera determines which walls are drawn in front of which other walls.

:lol: that's the same post I linked to in the OP.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying Terr, makes a lot more sense now.
Just to make sure I got this right, to achieve an isometric screenshot I should:
  1. Open up my map, enable cheats and switch to spectator
  2. Switch to thirdperson using thirdperson
  3. Switch to orthographic view by using camortho
  4. Play with c_orthowidth and c_orthoheight until I have desired level of 'zoom' (making sure the values fit my monitor's aspect ratio)
  5. Use the mouse to get the correct angle, or set the desired angle using setang X Y Z.
  6. Hit F5, which I have bound to take a screenshot.

I'm guessing that for best results I should have a spectator cam pointing in roughly the same direction I'm taking the screenshot from, unless I actually want to see through the walls, right?

Last edited: