Is this gamemode taken?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by HQDefault, Jan 30, 2015.

1. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, I wanted to ask and see if nobody has done this idea yet. Because every time I come up with a new gamemode idea that I think is fresh, fun, and original, I find that it's old hat and people have done it 1000 times before. Most people would tell me that there is nothing wrong with doing something that's already been done, but when I want to come up with something new like this, I want it to be NEW. I'm the kind of person who wants to be the first guy who did it.

So my gamemode idea is this: CD... or CountDown

Basically, the mechanics of the game work like this: There is a timer that is pre-set to 3:00. (or 4:00, not sure yet) It then counts down at the start of the round, but there is one control point, like KotH. But here's the kicker: It doesn't matter who captures it first. All that matters, is that you have THAT ONE POINT, when time runs out! And to give some incentive to capture the point before the last 30 seconds, the whole team gets crits when it's capped!

Oh yeah, and respawns are turned off for the last 30 seconds. Just to mix it up a bit.

Why did I come up with this gamemode? Well 2 reasons: A- I wanted to make a gamemode that supports both competitive and uncompetitive. I figured since the round will end either way, players could play the way they wanted to without arguments.

And B- I wanted to bring a huge sense of last-point anxiety, as explained in Jerma's video here:

So... is it a good idea? Is it old hat? Should I go?

I'll go ahead and do it if it's done before but the previous attempts were terrible. That means there's still hope :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
  2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Who CARES if it's old and done 1000 times. If it's been done that often and isn't that popular, then there's something wrong with it and maybe your take on it will be the one that jives. Don't make what others want. Make what YOU want.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. RubbishyUser

RubbishyUser L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think that's an original concept, at least published ones (I've been dreaming up a similar arena map for a while now)

Closest I can think of is Berry's koth_polarbeam that features a point where "At timer finish, the team owning the control point wins. Capping adds 20 seconds, leaving it at 2:00 after the first capture."

Also, holistically speaking, what you've described is a standard arena where both teams respawn before the point starts being capped. Arena has really long cap times but instantly win when you do so; so one team needs to own the point for 30 seconds in order to win.

Having said all that, my only warning with this idea is Media Studies most famous (only) graph, the interest curve:
    [​IMG]
    Applying to just about any media, the interest curve basically tells you how exciting your film, book or game "should" be, relative to itself. Don't add enough peaks and people will have lost interest by the time you reach your conclusion. Make it really exciting all the time and consumers complain about it being too noisy and trashy - see Call of Duty campaigns or the latest Michael Bay film. Make it nothing but one big peak and people are bewildered.

Payload is a really awesome example of an interest curve as each point gets progressively more difficult and exciting. After the point is capped, a lull is created and the cart gets pushed through easy terrain. Take that picture, swap the peaks with "gates open", "point A", "point B", "point C", and "the final point" and you have the interest curve of pl_badwater or hopefully any other payload map. That "last-point anxiety" that Jerma talks about exists only because we had 3 points of buildup. Make every point a last point and it becomes a mess. That's what your map sounds like as you described it.

tl;dr: make the rest of the round interesting and with value so the final cap has buildup. Otherwise? Go for it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Well a team can cap at ANY time, and cap times will be about the same time as a typical KotH map.

And I will probably throw in some "Art of War" at the last 30 seconds to add some extra music tension.

Oh, and btw, I did a private bot test where I ported KotH_Harvest over to CD to see if the gamemode was balanced and fun. It was fun, and it all worked alright, but at the time, I was scared to go cap the point back, because on that test only the people capping got crits. So I figured if everyone had crits, they would seem less terrifying in comparison. The only major flaw I could see was that capping was really like: "oh big whoop" I feel like the team getting crits might help give the point more relevance.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    The problem with this game mode is that it doesn't matter who owns the point in the 3 minuts and 59 seconds leading up to the timer countdown in it's standard configuration of koth-on-a-timer. If you figure out a way to make it important to own the point in the minutes leading up to the final seconds you have a very interesting twist on the koth game mode.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  6. Kraken

Kraken Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess

Positive Ratings:
    The matches would be very short but what would happen if no one captures the point?

7. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Simple.

Stalemate. Map explodes, everybody dies. Round restarts.

In all seriousness though: clever map design should make it VERY unlikely to make that happen. Make a team WANT to have that control point for that time. Although it surely is possible that nobody caps within the time frame. But again, if that happens too often the map needs a redesign.

8. RubbishyUser

RubbishyUser L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd like to point out that standard koth technically goes on forever until the first team captures the point.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Oh my days.

I remember a Nucleus match where the center point was left uncapped for 15 minutes straight.

10. ExtraCheesyPie

ExtraCheesyPie L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't see why it matters if someone has already done that exact gamemode. Just don't copy their map, give them credit or something, and start working on the map.

11. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Hell, there are plenty of Payload maps floating around these days but that didn't stop me from making one myself.

12. Berry

aa Berry if you read this you're a nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah this pretty much seems to read to me as the same sorta idea. If you do decide to make it still HQDefault, I released my ent setup I used for polarbeam here.

13. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    You see, the reason I wanted to create a new gamemode is because I crave doing something fresh and original, and gives players a new fun gameplay experience.