Is there no freeze damage for trigger_hurt?

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
Looking at the wiki, there appears to be a freeze damage for trigger_hurt, but it does not appear in game. Entering it's value (16) just changes the damage type to generic. Slowfreeze is pointless, as it just leaves an extra body floating in the air.

So is there no way to do freezing damage? I just want some freezing cold water :(

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Just use a generic trigger hurt.

Jivvi

L1: Registered
Jun 28, 2015
Looking at the wiki, freeze shares its value with train, depending on the game (tf2 obviously uses train). I like drown damage triggers for water since it gives a blue flash instead of the red flash, which may or may not feel relevant to what's dealing the damage (eg water).

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
In order to represent the sensation of freezing to death in TF2, Valve would need to program in pain effects, voice lines, and so on. I do not think the game supports this representation of personal harm, and I expect it was never considered for inclusion because the developers never envisaged it being used. You will have to make do with the closest effects. I recommend you experiment by making a sandbox room containing a bunch of trigger_hurt volumes set to different damage types. Then choose the type you feel fits best.

ExtraCheesyPie

Jan 29, 2015
In order to represent the sensation of freezing to death in TF2, Valve would need to program in pain effects, voice lines, and so on. I do not think the game supports this representation of personal harm, and I expect it was never considered for inclusion because the developers never envisaged it being used. You will have to make do with the closest effects. I recommend you experiment by making a sandbox room containing a bunch of trigger_hurt volumes set to different damage types. Then choose the type you feel fits best.
I mean, they could get away with just an ice-y overlay on the screen, sorta like how drowning makes the screen blue every few seconds, and adding an ice cracking noise to audibly represent sheer cold.

I ended up just using drowning trigger, since the blue flashes fits.

After all, there's no voice lines for a lot of the triggers, even a generic shiver with varied pitches could work.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
I recommend you experiment by making a sandbox room containing a bunch of trigger_hurt volumes set to different damage types. Then choose the type you feel fits best.
The ABS-pack includes small notes to every damage type that precisely decribe what will happen.

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
also, I would also like to make this clear, drown is the best option when it comes to ice damage, for effect wise (not initial, an for color)

ExtraCheesyPie

Jan 29, 2015
also, I would also like to make this clear, drown is the best option when it comes to ice damage, for effect wise (not initial, an for color)
Yeah I looked through it before i started the thread. Drowning is close enough I guess, since it's supposed to be freezing water.

Jul 6, 2015
Yeah I looked through it before i started the thread. Drowning is close enough I guess, since it's supposed to be freezing water.
Maybe down the line, you could get someone to have a custom freeze screen overlay for it.
I think there was one in HL, it might be usable in your situation but I have yet the foggiest idea how to change it.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
The only way to display a screen overlay is via the entity env_screenoverlay, but that displays it for everyone. I believe SourceMod can display overlays to individual users but it's not worth the effort to code and distribute a server-side plugin, because no one is going to care what the damage looks like. The best way to give the impression the player is freezing to death is to put them in an environment where that is extremely plausible, such as a super-chilled room, or a deep pool of icy water. Then the mind will fill in the gaps.

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
Actually, anyone figure out the hellfire death icon? or how to change them?