Is there anyone with experience about func_dustcloud?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Theobromin, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Theobromin

Theobromin L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It's an interesting feature that hardly ever seems to be used in TF2;
    as it seems to be quite a problem perfomance-wise.

I'd like to add a layer of fog to the last area of my map, but it seems to be not possible to preview the results in Hammer.
    So, how many particles are to many for the average PC to handle without noticeable frame rate loss? (And does 'frozen' make it any better?)

2. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
  3. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    There's one outside the 2fort spawn rooms, not the one on the balcony but the one inside the base. Up in the ceiling. Do an entity search in 2fort if you need an example from a valve map.

wrong entity, ignore

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  4. Urban

aa Urban

Positive Ratings:
    You are getting func_dustcloud and func_dustmotes confused Bermuda. And the dustmote is only present in RED base.

5. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    That would be a func_dustmotes, a different entity.

6. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    oops, sorry!

7. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    You might be able to use a secondary env_fogcontroller. It's possible to have multiple fog controllers in a single map, using trigger multiples to activate and deactivate them (it works client side, so you don't have to worry about one player changing the fog settings for everyone in the server).

The only issue is these changes are noticable if the triggers aren't placed in areas where the draw distance is close enough to be noticable.

2fort is a good example of using multiple fog controllers. Check the sewers, main entrance and the main base for seemingly random triggers, you'll notice they trigger minor fog setting changes in various areas of the map.

8. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Grazer - the multiple thing - can you use it as another way optimizing your maps? I thought I read somewhere that items outside on the fog range don't get rendered.

9. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  10. honeymustard

honeymustard L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Steel uses one in the pit. In my experience, any level of particles just kills fps.