Is there a way to specify the surface type to a Clip/PlayerClip brush?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MOCOLONI, Mar 14, 2019.

1. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've smoothed player movement on a detailed wooden staircase by 'clipping' it all, which now produces default footstep sounds. I would like to keep the wooden sounds but I seem to be unable to.

I've tried editing the 'toolsclip' VMT file and set its "surfaceprop" parameter to "wood" (from "default_silent", which means that there is/was support for surface type?), but it doesn't seem to take any effect.

I've thought of using an unrendered wooden func_brush entity, an idea I then scrapped right away because it may affect the map's performance and filesize, as well as blocking projectiles and bullets. Is there anything I can do? Though it's not a "serious" problem, I would really like to retain proper footstep sounds.

2. comradecommie

comradecommie L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I use invisible func_brushes. Works for me. I use them for fences because I don't want collision issues but still a metal sound.

3. MOCOLONI

Positive Ratings:
    To me it's not really an option because I don't want it to block projectiles nor bullets, but simply act as an obstacle to players while producing wooden sounds when walked on.

4. comradecommie

comradecommie L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    As far as I know, it'd be impossible to do that. You might just want to player-clip it and forget.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NoderNaeta

NoderNaeta L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    CS:GO uses varying surface clip brushes and I also tried achieving the same for TF2 with a simple vmt edit of the player clip and block bullet2 textures. They worked until it came to properly release a level, to which the surface defaulted back to concrete (the clip sounded proper if I remember until I packed the textures with VIDE). I did a couple and just got tired of getting them to work, like here:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "tools/toolsplayerclip_wood"
    "$translucent" "1"
    "$surfaceprop" "wood"
    "%compilenodraw" 1
    "%compilepassbullets" 1
    "%playerclip" 1
    "%keywords" "tf"
    }
    or blockbullets2

"LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "Tools/toolsblockbullets2_dirt"
    "$translucent" 1
    "$nodecal" 1
    "$surfaceprop" "dirt"
    "%compileNodraw" 1
    "%compileDetail" 1
    "%keywords" "tf,Tools"
    }
    Although I've seen the above method comradecommie mentioned in pl_ququmannz where func brushes with a metal beam texture is used over a construction light to fake a metal surface as clipping.

6. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Within TF2, (player)clips can not have any surfaceprop. Doing so will result in the correct sound playing only at random.
    Blockbullets can have a surfaceprop, but it will only affect the sounds from walking on it. Shooting it will still act like concrete.
    Using an invisible func_brush as a replacement for blockbullets is somewhat common, considering how rarely such a thing is even neccesary in the first place.
    In general, don't worry about it. Seriously nobody is gonna care. Half of the C tower on gravelpit sounds like concrete when you walk on it and nobody ever talks about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MOCOLONI

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty interesting information. I wonder if the failure on embedded content is related to (or happened during) the "sv_pure" bug, and/or previous bugs (#1, #2).

Mine never did, fyi.