Is there a way to make textures less reflective?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Robot3x, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Robot3x

Robot3x L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm using a blue tile texture for the floor and it looked great without specular, but when I stuck in cubemaps and built them, the white walls I have reflect so much off the tile that you can barely see the tile pattern. The floor just looks like a giant hovering white blob now.

Is there maybe a trick I can do to dampen the reflectivity of the floor? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and find another texture?

2. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    If I am correct I think there are two types of that texture (if I know which one you are talking about) and one doesn't have any specularity on it. If not, you can simply make a new .vmt to make a separate texture without any specularity

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    write your own .vmt

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    If you are compiling with HDR you might just need to adjust your HDR levels

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Robot3x

Robot3x L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I decided to make my life easier and just choose a different texture. I had been using that other texture so long I had gotten married to it.

Another question, what are degenerate faces and how do they affect things? I have one and have been hunting it for the past two hours, but it hasn't caused any problems, so I don't know if it's worth looking for.