Is there a way to line displacements up?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ExtraCheesyPie, Mar 5, 2015.

1. ExtraCheesyPie

ExtraCheesyPie L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm working on my first map, but I can't seem to get the displacements right. Theres always a visible vertical drop where the two brushes connect, which I have no idea how to fix. Using a 1size 1 radius displacement brush doesnt help too much, and Sew seems to align some of them, but I just can't get it to connect gracefully. Any pointers?

2. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Displacements can only be sewn if 1) the two original brush faces share a common edge and 2) the lengths of these edges are 1:1 or 1:2. So, if any of your displacements have vertices that don't line up along the shared edge, you'll have to move/resize them to fit those conditions before you can sew them.

3. Snowbat

Snowbat L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I usually follow the rule of thumb that the edges I want to sew together are both the same size.

4. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
  5. radarhead

aa radarhead Level 20 "Mapper"

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure the brushes are of the same depth, as well...

6. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Personaly i dont even know why they have added depth in displacements to begin with since to me it never seemed to have any use. If you needed to put some displacements higher or lower you just move the brush itself.

7. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Because that might lead to overhangs and stuff connecting together in very strange ways.

8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    In general, think of displacements as a "pretty layer" that you put on top of your brushwork. All the brush faces that will be displaced should be connecting/touching edge-to-edge and vertex-to-vertex. Then when you displace them they will connect and sew properly. Obviously this doesn't apply to corners or seams you wouldn't want sewing.

9. tehOMGfather

tehOMGfather L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You mean being able to push the displacement vertices on each axis? This is actually more useful than moving the entire brush because you get a bit more fidelity and aren't confined to grid units. Plus you don't want to align two displacement edges by moving brushes, otherwise you're going to make things more difficult for yourself if you're dealing with many displacements.

The best example map I can think of off the top of my head for examining displacements is badwater near blu start. Loading that one up and hiding everything including nodraw faces then toggling the Displacement Draw 3D shows breaks down how that section was shaped together. Using that as a template, I developed my own approach to creating terrain from displacements.

The displacement tool can be a fickle beast, but can also be one of the most powerful tools for giving your scene great detail.

10. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    I'm still amazed by the fact that the wall on the top left near BLU's first spawn (the path to the highground) isn't a displaced wall. It's as flat as it can be.

11. tehOMGfather

tehOMGfather L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, it is a displaced wall but they didn't touch the displacements for whatever reason. At least within the example.