is there a way to convert overlays into textures?

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
But I don't know how to do that, it look like a console command.
I get the feeling you are assuming this is some vastly complex task that you are unable to do. This isn't true. When people are saying you "Simply do X" we really do mean 'simply'!

But to add to what others have said, there are two parts to every texture. The .vtf and the .vmt
  • The .vtf is what the image looks like. Most often you'll use VTFEdit to open these files and to import (convert) image files to the .vtf format.
  • The .vmt is a text file that provides instructions on how that texture behaves. You can open these files with any text editor though the 2 most commonly used would be VTFEdit or Notepad++, though you could open them in Windows own Notepad.
The only thing you might want a tutorial on is all the different types of instructions that can included in a .vmt file as there are many that do a wide variety of things. As a bare minimum though, all textures will need 2 things:
  1. A shader, here defined as "LightmappedGeneric"
  2. The path to where the file exists in your game files, defined by the "$basetexture".
In my example below, I also have a "$surfaceprop" which would tell the Source engine to treat it like brick, meaning it will play the appropriate sounds when walked on or hit, and will apply appropriate decals when shot.

Example vtf:
Code:
"LightmappedGeneric"
{
    "$basetexture" "map_name/material_name"
    "$surfaceprop" "brick"
}
I'll leave some links to some light reading, but I encourage you to just try things yourself. Mess around with different shaders and options, see for yourself what does what.

Last edited:

Werewolf

aa
Apr 12, 2011
The .vtf's are found in the tf2_textures.dir.vpk file, while the .vmt's for those are in the tf2_misc_dir.vpk. They will be in the same folders, just in different directories.

So for example, the white 'Mann Co' logo will be in materials\overlays\mann_co_logo_001 for both the textures_dir.vpk and the misc_dir.vpk

Werewolf

aa
Apr 12, 2011
Do I have to change the name and do I have to extract the vtf too?
If you extract the vmt you'll probably have to edit it to remove the $decal parameter.

You don't actually need to extract the .vtf at all. Just extract the .vmt, rename it and remove the $decal parameter. Put that .vmt in the same folder the original was found in and it should work as you want it to.

View: https://youtu.be/lJ3oCs-52_U

suber36g

L3: Member
Jan 20, 2017
what about
"$decalscale" .25
"$translucent" 1
"$vertexcolor" "1"
"$vertexalpha" "1"
"%keywords" "tf"

suber36g

L3: Member
Jan 20, 2017
How do I put it back into the tf2_misc_dir.vpk and is right-clicking and then renaming enough ?

Werewolf

aa
Apr 12, 2011
so... /tf?
8tfPGBa.gif

If it came from materials/overlays/<file_name_here> in the vpk, you put it in the same folder within Windows. Look at where it came from, and put it in the same place.