Is there a standard?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ParanoidDrone, Dec 4, 2009.

1. ParanoidDrone

ParanoidDrone L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Simple question. Is there some sort of standard or preferred height of a room, or rise:run of staircases? IIRC, character models are ~128 in height, but 256 high walls and ledges just look massive.

2. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    256 isn't that high in TF2. The minimum height that I use is 192.

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Stairs usually rise at a 2:3 ratio, climb:distance.

Feel free to look at: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8827

As for height, 256 isn't really that tall (it just looks excessive at times), it's the height of the 2fort battlements i believe.

If you're stuck, the best bet is to check out "sourcesdk_content/tf/mapsrc" in your steam folder and look for the vmf files beginning with sdk_ which are the pre-compiled versions of select official maps made by Valve. You can reference the heights used easily from them.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. Stormcaller3801

Stormcaller3801 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    At one point I tried to create brushes that matched some stairway models- they had steps that were 4 high and 8 deep, with an identical spacing between them and a 45ยบ rise/run (basically lay down a step, go back 2, up 2, place another, back 2, up 2, place another, etc.), and it works without a hitch.

As for heights, I believe the character models run about 80-something, with 96 being my default as that allows head clearance and also is the minimum height to set up a teleporter. Most of my walls run about 128 to 192 high; that's enough to allow a Scout to double jump and not hit the ceiling. A Scout using a FAN and double-jumping will reach about 204, meaning 256 will give plenty of space in any rooms where you're expecting lots of fighting; if you want to allow sticky jumps and rocket jumps, you'll probably want to put the ceiling up around 768 to 1024 or higher.

• Thanks Thanks x 1