Is Splatoon-style king-of-the-cart impossible?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
In the Splatoon games, for the uninitiated, there's a Payload tug-of-war type mode that uses a mechanic where players have to stand on the payload for a certain amount of time to capture it—unlike Waste, where you just push enemies out of the way and you're immediately able to push. It also keeps track of your maximum distance traveled from the center so if no team makes it to the enemy base, whoever made it the closest wins. But I was thinking maybe instead, there could be two timers just like in KOTH, and treat it like KOTH but with a moving point. Kind of like how some people have made hybrid KOTH/3CP maps where if you manage to cap the end point you win by default.

Either way, I'd like to imagine that a mode like that could work as an alternative to 5CP, if it were technically possible. Some cursory examination of the entities involved in Payload suggests that it's not, though, because any capture zone parented to a func_tracktrain automatically behaves as a cart push zone instead. I'd need one of each for this to work. So should I just give up on the idea right now, or is there something I missed?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Define "behaves as a cart push zone".

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Like, if you stand in it, the cart moves. I need at least one—possibly two depending on how I'd have to hack the entity setup—capture zone that can be parented to the cart (so that it moves when the cart does) but actually behaves like the cap zones in a CP or KOTH map.

theatreTECHIE

Yet another Techie for the net...
aa
Jun 19, 2015
You could just have the payload/point move from logic that you set up, rather than using a train watcher, then just have the KOTH logic for the point, with a case on the end path_tracks to win round for the corresponding team. You can send setspeeddir inputs to the func_tracktrain using 1 for forward and -1 for backward. The only thing that this would not do is show the progress of the cart, although it would be possible to send audio outputs from the path_tracks to alert people of the point reaching the end.

As for the behaves like a push zone, isn’t that only applicable if there is a watcher present? (I’m sure that I’ve patented capture areas to moving platforms, and they behave like normal capture areas)

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
That would also mean the cart has to move at a fixed speed regardless of how many players are on it, yes?

I think I can live without the payload HUD as long as I can treat certain points along the track as checkpoints (which Splatoon also has, although I don't know what their function is) and show them being capped when the cart reaches them.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Like, if you stand in it, the cart moves. I need at least one—possibly two depending on how I'd have to hack the entity setup—capture zone that can be parented to the cart (so that it moves when the cart does) but actually behaves like the cap zones in a CP or KOTH map.
That's not done by the parenting. That's done using I/O to forward the capture count to a logic_switch and/or the trainwatcher and by setting the capture time to 999999999.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Are you saying normal Payload does this? Because I have Boojum's prefab open and there's no inputs or outputs in the team_train_watcher. And no such thing as logic_switch as far as I can tell.