Is path_track bugged?

Blinx

L69: Deviant Member
Mar 14, 2016
I'm creating an elevator with func_tracktrain and 3 path_tracks, but no matter what I do, my elevator spawns sideways, and stays that way. According to the VDC, using the orientationtype "Never": "The orientation of the train is fixed (instead of being relative to the direction of the track) permanently facing the direction it was spawned in (according to the direction of the first track). This overrides the Orientation Type settings of its path_track. Does not turn around when reversing direction.", but I can't find for the life of me what value the train uses from the path_track to get this value, because it isn't it's pitch, yaw or roll, I've tried changing those to bizarre values to try and get a bizarre result but it's still just sideways.

Thusly, I'm lead to believe that whatever value the train tries to get from the first path isn't exposed as an option, anyone else messed with func_tracktrains and path_track shed any light on this? Because I'm just stumped.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Did you build it facing the to the right in Hammer? It's the same thing with payloads and trains, where you have to place them facing east (to the right) otherwise they'll spawn at a weird angle that you can't fix via I/O.

Blinx

Mar 14, 2016
The "train" in this case is brush based, so does it really have a facing direction?

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Elevators are a little trickier than simple carts and trains because of the vertical path. I don't quite get them either, but I happen to have a func_tracktrain elevator in an old prefab, so here are the values I used for it:

First path_track

Subsequent path_tracks (should be directly above/below the first)

func_tracktrain

func_tracktrain flags (you probably don't need "No User Control" or "Is unblockable by player" but it won't hurt to check them)

Blinx

Mar 14, 2016
I didn't think to check the flags, that seems to have fixed it, thanks for that.