Is it still a Valve edit if you make it from scratch?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Facepalm, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Facepalm

Facepalm L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi guys, I just had a question. As you may have gathered, im new around here, and to the whole scene. So i joined the community group
    Team Fortress 2 mapping, last night hoping to run into some people with pointers and who could help me out.

Anyway as my very first project, to make sure I could make a map all the way myself, I just started making a 2fort. Yeah i know it's been done to death, but I just figured it was a good place to start.

Anyway I was politely asking some questions and when they found out what I was working on they were pretty rude about it, like:
    "We don't really like helping people with Valve edits around here"

So I just wondered is everyone going to give me this kind of crap because I was trying to do something familiar for my first map? I didn't copy/paste ANYthing, I made it all from scratch with SIGNIFICANT changes to the level layout.

Is there a better way to learn how to do stuff then trying to remake something familiar oneself?

/discuss

2. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    you don't even have to mention 2fort then...
    go on!

3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    To be fair, most of the things were said before you explained it was a ground-up remake. (after that I think the comments were just general dislike of 2fort :p)

Overall, we're friendly people and will help you with problems even if you are remaking 2fort.

4. Facepalm

Facepalm L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I see that some of you were there last night. Yeah my bad for trying to make something familiar for my first project.

5. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Basing your map off another, rather than just editing one, is a good way to start if you're new.

I know plenty of us start that way, including myself.