Is it possible..

bullg0d

L1: Registered
Apr 5, 2010
Is it possible to take an existing map and add to it?

What I would like to do is take an existing map and just add an area to it. Is it even possible? Can someone do it for me & the TF2 community? It's a great achievement map that could be made even beter.

I would ask the original author to do it, but I dont know how to contact him.

It's an achievement map, all I want to do is add an area to the existing spawn so people can idle.

This is the map- http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/82070

All that needs to be done is add the damage area under where everyone spawns so they take damage until they die as they idle. And add a short curb or something so they cant be pushed out of the idle/spawn area.

And I'd like to rename it so it has idle in the title. achievement_idle_mphs_v2.bsp

Credit should be given to the original designer and whomever "edits" it.

I have no mapping experience at all. If it's possible to edit and existing map, I would imagine that it would be pretty easy to do.

bullg0d

Apr 5, 2010
I'd love to ask him, I just cant find any contact info. Nothing on FPS Banana or on the readme for the map.

And as I stated above, I have no experience mapping. I couldnt do it even if ya did tell me. I was asking if someone would be interested in doing it. I do appriciate atleast knowing it can be done.. thanks! =]

Last edited:

Spammish

L3: Member
Jan 2, 2010
Well even if you didn't plan to continue mapping, learning the skills necessary for what you want to do would be relatively simple. And you might just develop a love. But if you do plan to release it you definitely should try and get the authors approval.

redcommunism

L2: Junior Member
Feb 13, 2010
Can you post how to do it anyways? I am quite curious. (I dont really intend to do it, however, because thats just not quite original). Also, glad to see you stuck with the community Political Gamer.

bullg0d

Apr 5, 2010
From what I understand, you have to decompile the map and turn it into a VMF or w/e to run it thru Hammer to edit it. There's video tutorials on YouTube about it. Just search decompile .bsp on YouTube.

However.. I have no clue how to use VMEX or Hammer.

I totally agree about getting intouch with the maker, I just cant find his contact info anywhere. I'd much rather him do what I'm asking because he has the .map file and it's "his" map. It would probably take him 5 minutes to do what I'm asking for. I just cant find his info.

Last edited: