Is it possible to make an Alien Swarm map for TF2?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by sitebender, Aug 22, 2012.

1. sitebender

sitebender L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    So Alien Swarm and TF2 are both from Valve and probably Hammer. TF2 managed to do Kong King with Sleeping Dogs resources. I think it might be interesting to have a TF2 level with Alien Swarm resources.... if not an Alien Swarm MvM.

Just a thought. If its not too crazy to pull off.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    It's not impossible.

But it's definitely too crazy to pull off.
    It's too much work.

But yeah, not impossible.. as with anything where meshes and textures can be extracted and recompiled, it can be ported, if you try hard enough (and ignore any and all legal implications).

3. sitebender

Positive Ratings:
    I guess I should have said make an original TF2 map using Alien Swarm resources and not just using the maps from Alien Swarm.

4. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Well, in that case, sure you can.
    Simply copy the models and materials folders from alien swarm, and merge them with those of TF2. Then you should have them available.

But yeah, legal stuff might apply somewhere. Not good with that kind of stuff tho.

5. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I think the main problem will be a lot of assets for Alien Swarm are built for a top-down perspective. Lots are missing faces on the underside...undersides you'd be able to see in TF2.

6. sitebender

Positive Ratings:
    Aly is probably right. There are some people that have made 1st person perspective mods for the game though. Perhaps there are modded resources like ceilings and the underside of tables. It was just a thought since Kong King was out and MvM could have an Alien Swarm after your TF2 team :)

7. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    It would either require shipping a copy of all the used resources in the map or getting the tf2 executable to mount the asw content. Neither is a good idea. The first is a legal issue and will negativly affect the size of your map. The second would require people to have the game installed to play your map.

8. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Or you could make a top-down TF2 game.

You can do a side-view. (the extent of this idea, I don't know. But I don't see why you couldn't do it for top-down using the same concept).

hmmm, a turn based TF2 Game would be cool too... that or I've been playing too much Civ V.

9. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    That looks like it uses some kind of command to set camera distance and then thirdperson_mayamode or something. If that's the case, making an Alien Swarm style map would certainly be possible (though you'd have to enable cheats), especially now that MVM exists. I know many people have thought about making assault style maps and haven't found a solution, though, and that might be where the project stutters.

10. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Making SSB required different key bind settings, and it screwed over a lot of people because of it.

11. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Alien Swarm is on a different engine branch and I *think* it *might* use an incompatible model version. Then again, TF2 has been updated and moved forward many times. So it *might* be the case that you'd have to decompile and recompile the models, even if you do find ones that are complete (as Aly said) or use this perspective.

If not it's a simple as extracting them from the ASW GCF into TF2 and then pak'ing them into the map for release.