Is it possible to change the camera angle/position of a player when they join?

TwashMan

L1: Registered
Sep 14, 2016
I know about the "cam_idealdist" command and sutch but i cant seem to get the "point_clientcommand" entity to work. The editing area of the entity is all blank. Ill be gone for the next 5 hours. so if you respond expect a respond later on.

Last edited:

TwashMan

Sep 14, 2016
if you mean the view displayed when joining a server, you need to use the info_observer_point entity, and set it as the welcome point within the entity's properties

No i mean how to do make a player execute a command like "cam_idealdist 200". Im sorry i sould have been more clear

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I think this is a case where you need to describe WHY you want to do this because simply deciding where the player is facing can be done by angling the spawnpoint and info_observer_points for the spectator cam

TwashMan

Sep 14, 2016
Ok ill rephrase it. I am having problems with the point_clientcommand and the point_servercommand entities. They are blank

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Those entities require you to pass an input to them through a logic_relay or something with the command you want to execute in the parameter field. They don't have thee command stored in them themselves.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
It should also be mentioned that point_servercommand will not work on most servers, including listen servers, because Valve added a cvar awhile back that must be changed to allow them. That entity has a lot of griefing potential, as you might imagine.

TwashMan

Sep 14, 2016
It should also be mentioned that point_servercommand will not work on most servers, including listen servers, because Valve added a cvar awhile back that must be changed to allow them. That entity has a lot of griefing potential, as you might imagine.
Well some commmand are still usable right?

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Well some commmand are still usable right?

No. The default setting disallows all point_servercommand inputs. You still haven't given us the reason why you're doing this. Is this for a non-standard game mode or a modded server or something? Some plugins need to have point_servercommand enabled, such as dodgeball, but chances are your inputs will be denied.

TwashMan

Sep 14, 2016
No. The default setting disallows all point_servercommand inputs. You still haven't given us the reason why you're doing this. Is this for a non-standard game mode or a modded server or something? Some plugins need to have point_servercommand enabled, such as dodgeball, but chances are your inputs will be denied.

Just trying to remake a level from super merio sunshine. And i wanted the sizes to be correct but it looked to big in first person, so ill just go ahead and change them.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Just trying to remake a level from super merio sunshine. And i wanted the sizes to be correct but it looked to big in first person, so ill just go ahead and change them.

What sizes? You're saying you're trying to compensate for over-scaled geometry by putting the camera farther back from the player?

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Actually, the default setting doesn't disallow it everywhere, but only allows them on official maps. No difference for you though.