Is it possible to build a turret?

deadsource

L3: Member
Jul 11, 2011
Is it possible to build a custom turret in hammer? I thought that maybe I could spawn a trigger_hurt inside a player when he activates a trigger that rapidly disappears and goes into cool-down before spawning inside another player. Of course, the so called turret would target the same player unless he leaves the trigger zone. Keep in mind that I'm not a hammer guru and I could be talking out of my arse. It's 1 am in the morning here and I'm at my job with no access to steam right now...
Surprise me.

EDIT: I've made a turret: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lupkInjDlug + download link in the description

Last edited:
V

Valkyrie

Ask Donutthevikingchamp, he knows how do to stuff similar to this

DonutVikingChap

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 15, 2013
Ask Donutthevikingchamp, he knows how do to stuff similar to this

You got the name wrong.

Anyway, it depends on what turrets you're referring to, I've made some mouse-controlled turrets that work in TF2. One shoots rockets and one shoots fake bullets (with info_particle_systems) and damages players using trigger_hurts kinda like you described.

If you're referring to auto-turrets that aim at players by themselves, it might be possible but I don't know how you'd make them aim like that.

If you want to know how I set up the trigger_hurts just let me know :)

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
the one in avanti isn't your typical turret (or is it!?)

stegarootbeer

L2: Junior Member
Jan 15, 2012
You can just build sentry guns, there's a guide on the wiki.

Step 1: Hit with wrench
Step 2: Hit with wrench
Step 4: Step back and question why you are smacking something with a heavy blunt object and not destroying it
Step 5: Hit with wrench...

colacan

Apr 14, 2012
Step 1: Hit with wrench
Step 2: Hit with wrench
Step 4: Step back and question why you are smacking something with a heavy blunt object and not destroying it
Step 5: Hit with wrench...
The lack of 3 is almost Valve-like

deadsource

Jul 11, 2011
You can just build sentry guns, there's a guide on the wiki.

I could. But I would like a sentry gun like turret that could be more customisable. Not necessaraly in a cosmetic way, I'm more interested in the damage output per second and projectile type.
DonutVikingChap, if you have any ideas, mind sharing them?

DonutVikingChap

Mar 15, 2013
I could. But I would like a sentry gun like turret that could be more customisable. Not necessaraly in a cosmetic way, I'm more interested in the damage output per second and projectile type.
DonutVikingChap, if you have any ideas, mind sharing them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMCfk-KwkdI

Boom. You might learn something from this.
I think I'll even try to make one too

Last edited:

deadsource

Jul 11, 2011
HL3 confirmed.

First of all, it's common knowledge that HL3 can only come when: the next generation of consoles are released, the first Source 2 game is released; VALVe time release.

Secondly, these follow-up jokes have nothing in common with this thread...

I'm having some trouble making the turret with the m_r_b.... Can't seem to make the turret follow the player fluidly.

Last edited:

DonutVikingChap

Mar 15, 2013
First of all, it's common knowledge that HL3 can only come when: the next generation of consoles are released, the first Source 2 game is released; VALVe time release.

Secondly, these follow-up jokes have nothing in common with this thread...

I'm having some trouble making the turret with the m_r_b.... Can't seem to make the turret follow the player fluidly.

I'm trying different solutions with physboxes and motors and func_door_rotatings and parenting but I have not managed come up with anything that really works yet, I'll let you know if I figure something out.

deadsource

Jul 11, 2011
It moves really weird, how did you set up the rotating entity?

I used this for rotation. You can download the VMF here.

I think it moves so weird because of the high rotation speed (360 per second). If I'd lower it, I think it should look not as weird as it does now. Can't test it because I'm at work now...

DonutVikingChap

Mar 15, 2013
Alright I managed to get a design working that involves two doors endlessly rotating around and the gun prop getting parented to them as a player walks into the left or right trigger, I also made it shoot bullets very similarly to my mouse-controlled machine gun turret. It works pretty smooth but I haven't figured out a way to make it go up and down. I'll try to post more about it tomorrow.