Is it okay to move brushes 0.5 or 0.25 units offgrid?

ficool2

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 28, 2017
I am making a map with some bumpmapped materials, and decals/overlays don't work on it. So I thought of a work around to make a nodraw func_illusionary with the top textured. I just want to quickly ask, is it okay if I move it using the Transform tool 0.5 or 0.25 units down? I know about the Vertex precision loss thing, but Hammer should be able to handle that decimal without rounding it. I need to know as this will be a semi-major component of the map and I need to know beforehand and don't have time to test, thanks.

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
so you want to move something, without fallowing the grid lines?

ficool2

Oct 28, 2017
so you want to move something, without fallowing the grid lines?

I need to put a brush further into a wall, I can't use decal and overlay as the wall uses a bumpmap. Just want to ask if I can move the grid offgrid by 0.5 or 0.25 without vertex precision loss occuring or compiler throwing errors

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
I've done this before, and didn't have any issues.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Although sticking to the grid is usually your best bet, I've used the clipping tool to create odd offgrid vertices that retain their accuracy, so you should be fine.

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
for me the worst that will happen is the brush will not render, but that was just a CS:GO brush, so idk for tf2 and it's hammer.

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
If you hold Alt while dragging an object in 2d views you can move it without snapping to grid.

ficool2

Oct 28, 2017
If you hold Alt while dragging an object in 2d views you can move it without snapping to grid.

Vertex precision loss disagrees

Anyway, looks like 0.25 and 0.5 units offgrid doesn't seem to mess up any vertices or cause errors after multiple saves, so thanks for helping

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
This is the first I hear about bumpmaps being incompatible with decals.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah, I suspect you're trying to work around a problem that isn't as unfixable as you think. Can you paste the contents of this material's VMT? Or, if it's a stock material, tell us what it is?

ficool2

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I suspect you're trying to work around a problem that isn't as unfixable as you think. Can you paste the contents of this material's VMT? Or, if it's a stock material, tell us what it is?

I quickly took 2 custom examples from a different map I worked on:

The floor on which the decal/overlay is applied:

Code:
"LightmappedGeneric"
{
   "$basetexture" tile01
   "$surfaceprop" tile
   $envmap  env_cubemap
  $basealphaenvmapmask 1
}

Decal VMT:

Code:
"LightmappedGeneric"
{
   "$basetexture" security_rug
   "$surfaceprop" carpet
   "$decal" "1"
}
As you can see, I wanted to use a rug decal on a reflective tile texture, but unfortunately they just don't appear in game. When I removed the $bumpmap, it worked instantly