Is HDR really worth it ?

Apr 13, 2009
Assuming, you have a nearly-complete map. I'm using env_tonemap_controller settings from a Valve map with similar settings, but it seems it just looks less good than the LDR version. Areas that were merely dark become pitch black, others that were bright become overbright, and for the rest of it I can't even tell the difference, aside the 20-something extra minutes it takes me to compile and increased filesize.
So, do you think it's really worthwhile ? Any tips to make it look right in TF2 ?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
When i was working on my artpass i didn't like how adding HDR destroyed the contrast on the horizon. I had only tested LDR until late beta stage and just got used to how clean and contrast-y the horizon was (which was nice). But when adding HDR a number of 3dskybox details were just smudged in white light and light grey fog settings.

HDR is worth it because it improves most reflections, which is important on player models and their weapons (first-person). It only looks bad if you're using impractical light settings/placement. Such as phantom lights or lights too close to walls etc.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
...LDR is boring...

Pretty much this. When i was creating maps on my shitty 7 year old rig which couldn't handle HDR, YM and i were wondering why my maps weren't "sparkling" like others and why the SS's were flat and boring. We put it down to the lack of HDR in the end.

If you have lighting issues, increase the cast angle/cone and brightness settings to allow light to reach the corners of your rooms and help increase the light bounces involved in vrad.exe to brighten the ceilings and walls.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I have skipped HDR a few times because I didn't think the filesize justified the result. Some maps benefit from te HDR effect more than others.. it should definitely be considered from the start though.

When tweaking the HDR settings it's good to remember that they can be edited from ingame with ent_fire AddOutput console commands.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
HDR is always worth it. Other games put in bloom in an attempt to immitate HDR. If you have the real thing accessible to you then USE IT!