Is hammer deleting my map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Rogueleader, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Rogueleader

Rogueleader L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    First off im not a noob, i really dont know what is going on and i hope that you do.

Background:

I have compiled my map, looks good but there is still some things to change so i go back into hammer change the things the save it under a different name (this will somehow completely ruin the map).

So here is the map under a different name and for some reason during the saving hammer deleted most of the func_ from the map and changed them to regular brushes. Hammer deleted a couple of brushes as well.

Now ever time i compile another error comes up showing a brush number and what is going on.

Remember this map compiled fine before and all i have done is changed some angles and a couple of brushes.

Here is one of the many log's:

Code:
    ** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cdc_smile"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Sep 21 2007)
    1 threads
    materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\team fortress 2\tf\materials
    Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cdc_smile.vmf
    Brush 4780: MAX_MAP_PLANES
    Side 3
    Texture: TOOLS/TOOLSTRIGGER

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cdc_smile"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Nov  8 2007)
    1 threads
    reading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cdc_smile.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cdc_smile.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
    ** Parameters:  -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cdc_smile"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Nov  8 2007)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     
    1 threads
    [Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
    [34 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cdc_smile.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cdc_smile.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\rogelead\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cdc_smile.bsp" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rogelead\team fortress 2\tf\maps\cdc_smile.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
      "The system cannot find the file specified."

Please help me figure out why hammer changed so many things in my map.

2. dirtyminuth

dirtyminuth L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is likely your problem:

VBSP is not generating the .bsp, thus you're receiving the subsequent errors in VVIS, VRAD, and the file copy. Locate brush 4780 and see what's wrong. If brush 4780 doesn't exist, take a look at the brushes you most recently changed.

3. Fawwles

Fawwles L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I had this problem yesterday. It turned out that the team_control_point_master entity was inside a trigger_capture _area brush. That might be the problem for you.

4. Rogueleader

Positive Ratings:
    alright, i should have mentioned that every time i fix the

i re run it and then it comes up with a new brush.

The functions are broken when they were not previously and all i have done is saved it as a different name.

5. dirtyminuth

dirtyminuth L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Rogue, does the brush number change each time you fix the error? VBSP might prematurely halt before it finds all problem brushes.

6. Rogueleader

Positive Ratings:
    yes the brush number changes only when i fix the previous brush.

fixing the brush may be as simple as copying and repasting it, to completely remaking it