Is a skybox necessary for an underground map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by hydragorgon, Jan 15, 2012.

1. hydragorgon

hydragorgon L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The title of my post sums up the question, but I'll elaborate as follows. I'm about to get a map ready for alpha testing. It's set in an underground subway station. The map has no leaks, but I keep getting an error relating to skyboxes. I'll paste the error at the end of my post.

I've noticed entirely indoor maps like ctf_turbine still have a kind of vestigial skybox. it seems to help with lighting. My map is lit entirely by indoor light_spots, and I like the feel more than env_light.

Long story short< do I need to add a carefully fitted skybox to the map? there are areas where a ceiling grate might look cool, but I'd rather avoid them if necessary. thanks alot for any input.

hydragorgon

the error in question....

*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_tf2_04 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_tf2_04 to build the default cubemap!
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_tf2_04 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_tf2_04 to build the default cubemap!

2. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    That error is in every map ever compiled for tf2 (almost). It can safely be ignored.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. PRG013

PRG013 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    As far as I know, the skybox is only needed if you want to give the illusion of open sky... Hence the name.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just because you don't have any toolsskybox textures in the map doesn't mean the map doesn't have a set skybox. It still does, only it's not being used.

5. hydragorgon

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the help gentleman. I figured there was an obvious answer but I couldnt find one on the forums. Thanks alot.

hydragorgon

6. Vaconcovat

Vaconcovat L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    That error is and forever will be. I've spent hours trying to fix it, realizing that it didn't actually cause any problems.

7. hydragorgon

Positive Ratings:
    Well I guess the question wasn't as dumb as I thought. I couldn't find the error in the forums, so I figured it was my long term lack of mapping knowledge that caused it. this is the first map I'd even consider testing, so I never took notice of it if it happened before. thanks alot.

hydragorgon