IRON MAPPER: Friday October 23rd

Discussion in 'Server Events' started by MangyCarface, Oct 20, 2009.

1. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Part 1 done! See [ame=http://forums.tf2maps.net/showpost.php?p=116945&postcount=49]here[/ame] - ABS

This Friday, October 23rd, [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/member.php?u=551"]TF2Maps.net[/ame]and I will be facing off in a several hour long mapping challenge, beginning at 5PM EST.

Courtesy of 2f2f's resident animator, Ford:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awfB1s01suA"]YouTube - Iron Mapper Promo[/ame]
    This is a friendly bout; we will both be tackling a pre-set KOTH setup in a given space and time. The kicker is, we'll be broadcasting both our efforts simultaneously via Livestream. This will be hosted via our favorite community, 2fort2furious.

A little about the community via our admin:
    Originally an in-house event, we realized that this would be a great event for people to watch some rather experienced mappers work against each other, as well as experiencing something a little bit more intense than the mapping side of our community usually provides. I'll be narrating most of my work, and demonstrating solid optimization and displacement techniques, as well as highlighting important time-saving features throughout the course of the map. Ace's stream is slightly delayed, but you'll be able to see that he outpaces me in most respects of mapping! However, I intend to kick his ass :p Additionally, our shoutbox will let you talk with other viewers and respond to the livestreams which will be streamed side-by-side! Check out the interface:
    [​IMG]

So, to get you all in on the fun, we're relaxing our membership rules (which usually rely upon consistent server time and mic use) temporarily:

So:
    1. Register
    2. Join our Steam Community
    3. Post your username and a link to your Steam Profile in this thread!

Though this is to get you guys to be able to watch both livestreams and discuss, perhaps you'll find our community dynamic interesting, or stay to test upcoming maps, as well as your own, with one of the most popular and regularly filled servers out there. Hope to see all of you there, and if you like what you see, we have a community movie night every Friday that begins shortly after IRON MAPPER ends.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  2. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Jazz

Jazz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Radaka

Radaka L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm going to be leaving on Friday, as it is on my birthday. I wish I could stay and watch though!

In the case that the event happens before I leave, I will sign up anyways.

-------------------------------------
    Radaka
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/stonedcatinvasion
    -------------------------------------

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  6. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    I'm sorry I might have misunderstood. This is basically a thing where we make a KOTH map in 1 hour and play them all?

7. TheBladeRoden

TheBladeRoden L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
  8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    No. It's Mangy vs Acegikmo, nobody else. and it's "several" hours, however long that is.

9. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
  10. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    If this IRON MAPPERU challange works out, I hope there will be even more future uses of the double view stream ;)

There's almost always someone streaming interesting stuff in the shoutbox. I've started lurking in there lately, it's a really nice, relaxed place.

11. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Steam name: Joodude | TF2maps.net
    2f2f Username: Joodude
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/micnax

I do say, this shall be AWESOME.

Do I have to register my SteamID by visiting the server once, though?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  12. FLOOR_MASTER

FLOOR_MASTER L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, it's our hope that this can become a somewhat regular event, especially with the anticipated influx of mapping talent from TF2Maps.

Registering your SteamID (by visiting your forum profile, clicking on the SteamID section, and typing the auth code command while in any of our servers) will help speed up the account activation process but isn't necessary as long as you provide your 2f2f username and a link to your Steam profile here.

After your account is activated, do take note of the Shoutbox on the main forum page. It's a live Shoutbox that's more like a chat room but with tight forum integration and other unique features. Be sure to switch to the full-screen Shoutbox by clicking on the small window icon next to the textbox.

Finally, I want to thank 2f2f member Harpo again for providing that great animation for this week's event. Here's more of Harpo's work:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ3hVnNEuBU"]YouTube - Harpo Drawing 2f2f Members[/ame]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    I had not clue this was going to go public! Still sweet nonetheless. :p

EDIT: Also feel free to post your map on the forums.

15. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, the livestreams will be recorded into our on-demand libraries.

17. Westerhound

Westerhound L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    One thing we forgot to mention is that for more serious players or mappers looking at 6v6 scenarios, if you've got a mic, play well and all that we also run private 6v6 competitive setting custom matches. We've been testing indulge, stark, waste, nova's and fox's maps, and this was the group that helped me polish yukon through 7 more tests before it was released with the classless update.

20. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, thats really nice!

I am competetive player myself, so i could probably help you testing, and i would also really appreciate to get my map tested in 6 on 6 situations.