Invisible Leak

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Nicknam4, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Nicknam4

Nicknam4 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey guys. Recently found Leak errors in my compile window, so I loaded a pointfile to locate the leak. Turns out there was a brush origin out there from when I moved the entire map in order to put the map's origin inside the skybox. I moved it back into the correct place, although the same leak error is still there. I've selected everything in the map and I cannot find anything close to the point file. Any idea how to fix this? I have recompiled and restarted hammer.

[EDIT]I managed to fix this by moving the entire map to put that pointfile inside the skybox, but I'm still curious to what causes this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    Most likely an "Origin" to one of your props.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  3. phi

aa phi For Whom The Sorrows Sing

Positive Ratings:
    Map > Unload Pointfile

At least that's what I think is your problem.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Pointfiles are only created when you compile a map. When you seal a leak, compile the map with VVIS and VRAD set to "Off" (this makes compiling take about two to eight seconds, depending on map size, and really, you don't need to do a proper compile to check for leaks). Then load the pointfile again.

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Or more likely (since prop origins are all within the prop's bounding box somewhere unless I'm missing something) the origin of a brush entity, which have a tendency to stay in place when the entity is dragged around. It's a common enough bug that they added a tool to fix it, under Tools > Center Origins. I recommend hitting Edit > Select All and then that, and seeing if it works.

6. Nicknam4

Nicknam4 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I did do this, but the pointfiles still showed leaks. I will try the center origins next time this happens though, thanks stevethepocket.