Invalid Solids

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Montezuma, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Montezuma

Montezuma L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    So in the map I'm currently working on, I've had to make some logs out of 16-sided circle brushes. The problem is, every time I open the map it says "you saved your map with x number of invalid solids. Resave map with solids removed?" I of course save it and then open my map to find my logs gone. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening? Or should I find a new way to get this same effect?

2. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Be lucky it just removes the invalid solids and not all of your entities (Valve, I love you guys, but whoever made that artpass base map has some 'splainin' to do!) Anyway, an "invalid solid" is a brush with one or more faces whose corners don't form a proper two-dimensional quadrilateral. A physical and geometric impossibility. Messing around with the vertex editor can cause these.

You might want to look into creating a custom model instead for your logs. It's a lot easier (read: actually possible) to manually break your quadrilaterals into triangles, which are always valid.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Montezuma

Positive Ratings:
    damn, I just wanted to make my tunnels look half decent. Oh well, while I'm here, does anyone know if there's a custom model out there for the logs used in the trusses found in prop/mining? I that would really solve all my problems, even if they shouldn't be that major in the first place...
    EDIT: looks like if I just make the logs eight-sided instead of sixteen then they are no longer invalid. Good enough solution for the time being for me.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like you'll be wanting to seek out someone who can do some custom modeling. Fortunately we have some of those. And from the sound of it, it'll be a pretty easy job. You just want someone to tweak existing models into slightly differently shaped ones?

5. Montezuma

Positive Ratings:
    yeah I guess so. I don't have a lot put into this map yet, but considering how universal a prop these trusses are, I wonder if a custom modeler might not mind to just make for the sake of the community? I doubt I'm the only one who could find a use for some nice logs.

6. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    There are single logs made by Valve. I don't know their filename, but I'm talking about the one used in Lumberyard.

7. Montezuma

Positive Ratings:
    I tried using those, but they're a little big for my needs and they don't use the same texture as the trusses in props/mining.

8. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Just make the logs out of displacements. Look at how the little island things in eyeaduct's underworld are made for an example of how.

9. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    theres always propper

also iirc when i was messing with invalid solids in propper, it was breaking the quads into tris anyway so no solids were invalid in the resulting prop. the vmf was corrected next time i opened it, but the prop was the shape i saved...i think.