Introducing Steam Trading Beta

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by tf2.com, Aug 9, 2011.

1. tf2.com

tf2.com L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    As we all know, Jonas Salk invented money in 1955 so he would have a way to earn a living from his polio vaccine. Before that, people just traded things they found for things that other people had found. So you might "sell" somebody a scrap of carpet, say, in exchange for an old bottle. It was a perfect system with only one drawback: people spent their lives bartering for piles of garbage before dying of polio.

Source: TF2.com

2. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    So, now Valve have created an inter-game economy.

I guess the good thing is you can trade an item from a game you never play for one you do play. But how many items could this really encompass?

3. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    Grouping your friends... yes! Does anyone know if you can go offline for a certain group of people but remain online to others?

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    you cant hide from me

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  5. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    but this is really good. i just wish the friends wouldnt overlap groups. it extends your list 2-3 times.

6. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Well since you can't go offline as is, like MSN or FB's offline state, i imagine not. It would have been so handy but now i just pretend i'm AFK and people generally get the hint.

7. RagnarHomsar

RagnarHomsar L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I honestly am probably going to prefer trading from Steam than in TF2 because you can trade more than 8 items at a time.

8. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    can't trade games i already have that i hate right? guess i might use this to get rid of my hats and get some gamez

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  9. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna mention this in that spuf feedback thread.

Well you can go offline, and I've used it on multiple occasions to simulate not having steam running-- it's useful when I'm studying for a test but still want to take a break and look at what friends are doing without having to completely exit out of steam.

10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I'm confused by this part:

I thought if you purchase the game, unless you bought it for someone else, it's automatically added to your library. Does this mean there's now an option to buy a game as a gift for I-haven't-decided-whom-yet?

11. Okrag

aa Okrag Wall Staples

Positive Ratings:
    I know it works with the extra copies from multipacks, not sure if you can have unspecified gifts.

12. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Let the DIablo 3 avalanche roll.
    Legalize, tax and encourage!

13. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I strongly recommend that the mods and admins take serious action against the use of the "trading boxes" (By which I mean the giant boxes with item names/descriptions in them that you can post directly in the chat) in the group chat. It's extremely annoying due to their size and intrusiveness, it's sure to break apart and ruin any sensible conversation and it can easily be spammed to an effect much greater than one could with text.

• Thanks Thanks x 4