Introducing myself and pl_snail rail

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Model .vmt's need to be VertexLitGeneric. Try that.

The301stSpartan

L1: Registered
Feb 14, 2013
Using those tips and with a lot of help from Bloodhound I have it working now! :)
Thanks a lot, will continue the map soon and post more updates maybe tomorrow or next week.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
You know, this wouldn't have been an issue if you had used the old materials.

The301stSpartan

Feb 14, 2013
What do you mean? I am using the standard valve textures on a custom model.

Also, I need to have thir work with all textures because I plan on making other custom props for the map that might not have fitting valve textures.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Material != Texture. A material has zero or more textures. Textures are image files, materials are text files.

And it isn't the standard valve textures if you don't use the valve provided texture files.

The301stSpartan

Feb 14, 2013
Well, I had to modify them to fit the shape of the model. I used the valve provided texture files for that.
I don't understand what you're trying to tell me. Do you say I should've used one material for the model instead of any textures then? I don't get it. I just wanted it to look similar to the default cart tracks and now I have it look that way.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I am just reitterating my old point here: you should just have used the existing materials and done the UV mapping to make it fit on the new mesh.

The301stSpartan

Feb 14, 2013
Isn't that exactly what I did?
Sorry, I don't follow you.
But whatever, it's good that I did it this way so I know how to apply textures in general.

Bloodhound

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 3, 2011
What Henke is trying to say, is that you didn't used the original VMT files.
Because they use "VertexLitGeneric".
Your VMT file was supposed to be applied to a face in hammer, since it used "LightmappedGeneric".

The301stSpartan

Feb 14, 2013
Oh THAT. Well I knew nothing about .vmt files so I just autoconverted them from the .vtfs. That's why they were wrong.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Note that the definition of use here does not include "copied the file and made modifications". It means "used unmodified files as is, without the need to distribute any changed files".

The301stSpartan

Feb 14, 2013
Henke I honestly don't know what you want from me. I made a different model. It needed different textures. So I made fitting textures based on the default ones. So I had to make .vmts that fit them. It didn't work first, now it did. I'm happy with it. End of story.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Henke I honestly don't know what you want from me. I made a different model. It needed different textures.
It didn't, is the point he's trying to make. As I said before, multiple models can reference the same texture.

I do have to wonder how feasible it would have been in the program you were using, though. Anyone here who's decompiled and edited stock models, what did you have to do to make the original textures visible and usable in the editor? Because I know that 3DS Max et al don't have native support for VTF and expect you to build your materials in their own material editor tools. Is there some sort of plugin involved?